Pollen rush

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Anyone else seeing lots of pollen coming in, bright orange parcels too - not sure from what plant mind.

Jez

I think it`s Ivy pollen. My girls have been really busy today bringing it in.

Regards

Darren.

Yes Jez, my bee are bringing in lots of bright yellow / orange pollen at the moment and I checked my pollen guide today and it is Ivy. So, the chances are yours are foraging on Ivy as well, which is normally a good source of nectar too.

nice1, thanks everyone

jezd have you fed your bee's yet?
Its just that its not a good idea to have a brood box full of ivy honey going through the winter as it sets rock solid in time and can sometimes upset the bees tummy's.

lots of yellow and white pollen in Wilts too. Also alot of bees coming in with propolis on their back legs. This is a hive/queen from Mike at E sybe , I wonder if his queens are predisposed to propolis collection - the hive is covered with the stuff, especially under and around the apiguard tray area

S

I think it is in their blood sometimes to collect propolis. I had a colony which were World class propolis gathers. They were very calm but they stuck everything together which was a pain to clean off. The rest of the colonies just collected "normal" amounts so it wasn't a case of a propolis "flow".

jezd have you fed your bee's yet?
Its just that its not a good idea to have a brood box full of ivy honey going through the winter as it sets rock solid in time and can sometimes upset the bees tummy's.

yes, all the hives have been on syrup for a few weeks and still are, also got 300kg+ of fondant comeing on Thursday too - that should keep them busy at home once the temp drops this Friday

Back