Pollen in supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi. I have quite a few super frames full of pollen rather than nectar/honey - does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can encourage its removal?

Thanks

The bees won’t unless you let the queen lay there. It’s a real pain but does mean that the bees don’t think they have enough room in the brood
I store my super frames wet and generally pollen mites get at the pollen so that I can just tap it out the next season

The bees won’t unless you let the queen lay there. It’s a real pain but does mean that the bees don’t think they have enough room in the brood
I store my super frames wet and generally pollen mites get at the pollen so that I can just tap it out the next season
Thanks - I wondered if they would rob out if placed above a crown board or move up if placed under the brood; seems a shame to waste their efforts - but they aren't short of pollen in the brood box and still plenty going in. I don't want the queen to be using the super and don't need to be on a brood and a half as they are on 14x12. Thanks EHB.

I have two 14x12 without a QE. When the brood nest contracts later in the season that pollen will be gone and will be replaced with honey

Latest posts

Back