Pollen Images

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd dumb post of the morning -

Why is the colour of pollen different from that which the ladies carry back, eg OSR is shown as being purple?

2nd dumb post of the morning -

Why is the colour of pollen different from that which the ladies carry back, eg OSR is shown as being purple?

you have to stain the fluid the pollen is suspended in on the microscope slide otherwise it is difficult to see the pollen, the colour you are seeing just depends on what staining medium was used

you have to stain the fluid the pollen is suspended in on the microscope slide otherwise it is difficult to see the pollen, the colour you are seeing just depends on what staining medium was used

I learn something new every time I visit this forum Ha!

Mo

I learn something new every time I visit this forum Ha!

Mo

Nice to see your back on form :p, and recovering by your comment ;)

long time since i prepared "proper" slides but think it is Eosin & Haematoxylin stain that gives the pink colour

i am about to order some stain, as i want to take the bbka intermediate microscopy module, and need a lot of practice on pollen, bees and bacteria

Last edited:
Sorry MM,
I should look and inwardly digest who has posted etc.
The staing ing of pollen grains is normally done using safranin stain ready mixed with a Glycerol base. All that happens is you place the pollen grains on a smear of glycerin (stained), and cover with a mountant I use practermount, and place cover glass over using a pair of tweezers to lower it down.
The colour that shows on the exine of the pollen grain is stained by the safranin penetrating the hard exterior shell. I have experimented with a number of different colours and methods but with little success. You might try a blue or Orange and leave the grains soaking for 10 15 Min's. before washing off.
If you are taking the BBKA microscopy exam then try to get hold of a booklet named Pollen , its collection and Preparation for the Microscope. by John White (Second Edition)
If you have difficulty and do not have Module 9 Microscopy Study Notes then I could lend you them for a short time.

All the best to you all and sorry for the sharp reply earlier.

Mo

Im new at this and I so dumb posted so here goes.
bcfcc38a.jpg

Pollen yesterday 23/12/12

Last edited:
What made me look twice at the top worker, was the length of hairs.

meadow-sweet

bee on meadowsweet today(3.7.14) here in Cumbria
2ihkopi.jpg

Latest posts

Back