Pollen gatherers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Shade temperature of +12C today and the pollen gatherers were out in force, I thought probably gorse then noticed the hazel positively glowing in the sun. As soon as I got these photographs the sun went behind a cloud and they all scuttled home.

How lovely.
It's going to be a while yet before my Hazels are at that stage, though the catkins are beginning to lengthen.
Cazza

Everything that needs to be 'winterised', treated to a continued cold spell, or whatever you want to call it, will now be in 'ready to go' mode (warm and lengthening days). The only thing holding them back will be the average temperature.

I hope it doesn't stay abnormally warm for the rest of the month and then go cold enough to 'freeze the balls off a brass monkey' for an extended period. That could easily put a lot of plant annual cycles into a real tizz. And the bees, too.

Regards, RAB

Weather forecast is for colder weather to return next week so your wish, Rab, is likely to be granted.
Cazza

Lovely pictures.
Ours are still shut tight.

This is from last year....

4434533749_ee579c6aea.jpg

My bees were very busy working on the flowers of Viburnum Tinus today. Would that be for pollen or nectar?

My bees all tucked up in the hive - the snow has just melted around them today only - I ended up covered in bee c**p tho after I disturbed them treat with oxalic. Great pictures

Lots of activity today, but after 10 minutes of watching the comings and goings, I saw the first couple arrive with pollen. Not a lot and it was a mixture of grey and yellow/grey.

No idea what is it as they appear to have gone off the allotment to get it.

Everything that needs to be 'winterised', treated to a continued cold spell, or whatever you want to call it, will now be in 'ready to go' mode (warm and lengthening days). The only thing holding them back will be the average temperature.

Regards, RAB

Seen this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growing-degree_day#Honeybees

I gather weather data from my weather station and I'm thinking of adding an extra 2 columns 1 for Growing Degree Days and the other for observations of bee behavoiur/flowering plants etc.

Wilderness, this looks absolutely fascinating. Thanks for the wiki explanation. Let us know how you get on please?

Latest posts

Back