Poll : Winter/Spring losses 2009/2010

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many colonies did you lose ?

Votes: 2 28.6%

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 10+

• 20+

• None

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
Seeing as a number of you seem to have seen a few losses already, I thought I'd post this up in readiness - perhaps a bit early but for those with very few hives it might not be !

Fingers crossed that it isn't too full by the end of March !

regards

S

Seeing as a number of you seem to have seen a few losses already, I thought I'd post this up in readiness - perhaps a bit early but for those with very few hives it might not be !

Fingers crossed that it isn't too full by the end of March !

regards

S

when is the cut off date for Winter? I would say end of Feb and then they become Spring losses :)

That end of winter date may vary I would think for those in the highlands ie north of Perth this is likely to be 2 weeks later ie the middle of March

Being very pedantic could we have the poll correctly spelt......I loose my bees to the outside world all the time but will hopefully not lose any!

:cheers2:

to make it all encompassing, I have put to end of March to allow for the carribean contingent in the far SW as well as the Eskimos in the north.

Apologies for the lack of diction Stiffy - no one is perfect !

regards

S

Should you include 0?

And if zero is an option, there will be potentially millions of those out there. Nearly every one of them a non-beekeeper!

I think it may need a little refining.

It might be a good count of hive losses but is (IMO) about as useful as a chocolate teapot if we don't know how many colonies the beekeeper started with.

An example might be: losing 15 (OK, 10+) out of 15 is a somewhat different than losing 15 out of 150.

Regards, RAB

Last winter we did % loss.
Although that was funny at times when asked what % is it If I have 23 hives and lost 7.
You could here the beekeeper's grey matter working overtime.

lmao, does it never end......maybe not :)

Maybe we should have a poll to decide if the poll is acceptable or not:cheers2:

You cant have a poll to see if we should have a poll without setting up a steering committee first and then have a consultation period.

If you dont make me honorary president of the committee then I will make up a new roll called "Public Affairs Director".
Admin

You cant have a poll to see if we should have a poll without setting up a steering committee first and then have a consultation period.

If you dont make me honorary president of the committee then I will make up a new roll called "Public Affairs Director".
Admin

How many beeks would it need to be quorate?

to make it all encompassing, I have put to end of March to allow for the carribean contingent in the far SW as well as the Eskimos in the north.

Apologies for the lack of diction Stiffy - no one is perfect !

regards

S

Thanks Somerford there was no offence meant, I tend to pick up on things like this as I spend my winter months writing reports and often have the same problems with my worms! :ack2:

Just hope I dont have to input into your Poll. Yesterday there where small numbers of bees from most of my hives flying, nice to see that here is some life in the boxes.
Cheers

Being Mr Grumpy again - what use are the numbers of losses? Would it not be more useful stated as a percentage? It is too early for this poll anyway so I suggest bin it and start again in early March when those posting losses now may soon find they have some more to add.

Think we need Alastair Campell or another spin doctor in first to convince us that we need a poll, or would they try to convince us that we don't need one so we will have one (reverse psychology).

well I'm not going in front of any select committee !!!

but if the role of Public Affairs Director isn't wanted by anyone else, I am happy to put my foot in mouth without fear of other's opinions on a regular basis. I hearby nominate myself.

regards

S

the number and percentage would be useful.

50% of 2 is a very high percentage, but in real terms not a serious loss (except to the owner), whilst 20% of someone with 100 hives is a smaller percentage but with a bigger issue.

it would also be interesting for presumed reason for failure, regional variables, saturation levels of beehives and target crop to get some maddening (but interesting!) statistics... it might be beyond a poll though...

Back