Poll - Reacting to stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you react to bee stings, do you have asthma or hayfever?

• Yes - have asthma/hayfever

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No - don't have asthma/hayfever

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Used to have asthma/hayfever but grown out of it

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

beedons

New Bee
Reaction score
A very unscientific poll, but if you react to stings, do you/did you suffer from asthma/hayfever?

Last edited:
A very unscientific poll, but if you react to stings, do you/did you suffer from asthma/hayfever?

I did react badly for years but not now:cheers2:!!!
I've never sufferred from asthma nor hay fever !!!.
I see what you mean about unscientific :).

John Wilkinson

I suffer form hayfeaver (not asthma) and I don't react to stings.

I don't know about unscientific.................very restrictive :)

Yours Roy

At least One choice fits my circumstance (partly:) )

John Wilkinson

I have both asthma and hayfever (aren't I the lucky one!). I've had one sting that swelled up and bruised spectacularly, but generally no over-reaction to stings.

Your poll doesn't allow for my answer

YES - I have Asthma and hayfever - joy of joys!.
NO - I don't react badly to bee stings (have never suffered a high multiple sting incident though).

I have asked this at the doctors. I was told that there is a possible link between hayfever and sting reaction since both are an imune response but not Asthma since this is an irritated inflamation. That said I often suffer mild asthma if I have hay fever but that may simply be the pollen acting as an irritant in the lungs as well as causing an imune response.

React to it? I nearly always say 'You little B' and remove the sting as quickly as possible! Don't most people?

I doubt if there are many who don't react to the venom, just a matter of severity. I swell up. Most times that bothers others more than me. Probably is worse if I don't dope myself up with anti-histamines (usually after the event). Don't normally take any drugs (legal or otherwise) apart from a little alcohol occasionally.

Regards, RAB

Regards, RAB

I got one day 70 stings and I feel a little bit tired.

Next day I got from the same hive 40 stings and then I killed the hive. That was reaction.

lol nice one Finman don't blame you :)

The reason for this unscientific poll is that my husband seems to react badly to each sting. He used to have asthma as a child which, like hayfever can in some circumstances be a reaction to pollen.

That is why I wanted to know whether their was a possible link.

I suffer from Hay fever and dont react to badly to stings. I had 12 in one go recently and apart from really bad swelling and feeling like I had flu the next day Ok. I was stung at the weekend by a wasp. It was more painful than a bee sting but apart from iching 12 hours later no ill effects. I think a lot of the time you can become Hyper sensitive to Allergies especially if you take anti histamines. My dad is taking anti histamines 24/ 7 as he is so sensitive now to just about everything and he has Hayfever and asthma. It could be down to pesticides as he is living in Lincolnshire.

It could be down to pesticides as he is living in Lincolnshire.

Nah! It's probably just because he is living in Lincolnshire!

Regards, RAB

today so far its mark s 14 wasps 1 the blighter just got me on the leg

I used to suffer with mild asthma but it seems to have cleared up since stopping smoking and not eating dairy products. Local honey is supposed to suppress hay fever, or is it just an old wives tale? Can't say about any reaction to a bee sting as I haven't been stung. No much affect from a wasp sting just a small swelling.

I noticed a swelling on my left wrist last week but thought it was just a spot caused by my dirty bee suit. I used to get them from welding gauntlets that I'd maybe been wearing for a while. Anyway just cleaned the propolis off my rubber gloves and found a dried stinger that had gone through, so I must have got stung. Not too bad really just a little swelling around the area where the skin had been penetrated.

I read an interesting article in the Daily mail, with reference to MS, the progress of which is stalled by the use of 'lisinopril' a heart(blood pressure) drug !.
As I have itterated before ,I have, for years reacted locally to beestings (michelin X syndrome).For the last 3 or 4 years ,no such reaction:). Now, I had a heart attack 3 to 4 years ago and was prescribed 10mg of lisinopril daily !!.
Apparently this drug works on ones mast cells by disrupting their function of over reacting to stimulli , this stops over production of histermine !.
Could be a coincidence?, any medicos prepared to hazard a guess??.
John Wilkinson

Hmmm, multiple stings from bees, slightly light headed. One wetched wasp sting, near death....grab the eppi pen! and yes, hayfever,no to asthma. Hope that doesn't throw your unscientific study off to much! :D

:beatdeadhorse5:i do have hayfever, been stung s few times only local swelling apart from one when my elbow to my fingers swelled and could not use my hand or wrist.

Apparently this drug works on ones mast cells by disrupting their function of over reacting to stimulli , this stops over production of histermine !.
Could be a coincidence?, any medicos prepared to hazard a guess??.
John Wilkinson

Irrc, I read in the monthly journal of a beek org whose name not dares be spoken on this forum, that the serious reactions following bee stings, such as falling blood pressure, dizziness, nausea, and unconsciousness, are all reactions to the histamine that ones own body generates, not to the venom.

Latest posts

Back