poison spray

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
The large fields of oilseed rape which is about 18 miles from wher i live will be sprayed around half way through the flowering period,or first petal drop with lamda-cyhalothrin,with fungide triazole.
Have contacted the technical department of the manufacturer,this spray is deadly to bee's,even more so being mixed with the fungicide.they suggest the bee's are kept closed in from the time the spraying starts in the evening,and all of the following day,and then they should be ok,but only should,not will be ok,as mixed with the fungicide it causes an emulsion which lasts longer.
Perhaps this could explain the loss of lots of flying bee's last season, but i don't know,they never make it back to the hive with this spray,but look on the bright side you still end up with a hive of baby none flying bee's. also the problem is the spraying is done over 3 days,so bee's would need to be closed in for four days,so no good. Is this of one the poisons the bbka endorses?

Last edited:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
A restricted use pesticide , slight to non toxic in birds, highly toxic in fish and other aquatic creatures. Highly toxic to bees.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Thats interesting Jon, and with this insecticide they also say to avoid triazole fungicide tank mixes,so this combination is obviously bad,but farmers will mix it because they are not going to carry out two separate spraying operations with the different chemicals, because of cost.

jon 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40-50
What company makes the lamda-cyhalothrin pesticide? There will be a list of approved combinations on its website.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Lots of web info,but they don't recomend it being mixed with anything.
Hallmark with Zeon, the phone number is 08001696058

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Syngenta is one of the companies that pay money to the BBKA for endorsments.

Why not ask the BBKA,I would expect them to know details on a product they endorse.

Be very weary of the reply though because they have been known to tell fibs when it comes to pesticides ;)

They cant very well turn around and say "Yes its sh*t and kills bee's" can they.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
We can do our best to avoid this poison,or can we? how about all the reasearch into the decline of butterflys and bumblbees,who shuts them in. bugger it,lets blame the weather.

jon 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40-50
Admin.

Noone is going to deny that pesticides kill "pests" or that insecticides kill insects including bees.
The BBKA stance is that the damage to bees will be limited by liaising with the farmers who apply these chemicals.
I think the policy is misguided, but it is inaccurate to state that thay claim these products will not kill bees.

Obviously the bee kill will be worse if spraying is done mid afternoon on a warm day.

Last edited:

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hivemaker if you do contact the BBKA try and slip in to your email the word "Pollination" as thats what they are interested in this year due to the money thats being waved by the goverment for research,pesticides and gm crops are so last year.

My post above may of been a bit OTT,as the BBKA will tell you its ok to use if the local farmer informs the local BKA spray liason officer,THATS OK THEN :rolleyes:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I can see absolutely no point contacting bbka,i have been in contact with the company that makes the stuff,thats good enough for me,its deadly to bee's.

UPDATE. contacted bayer,they do not recomend bee's being in the area when decis is sprayed,definately not safe when mixed with fungicide triazole. however bee's should be shut in and should be safe next day if the decis is sprayed on its own,not much good though if its large area's which are sprayed over several days.mentioned bbka logo on product,the reply was that this does not mean it is safe.
But it does sound a safer option to what they spray on the rape in this area, cyhalothrin.

Last edited:

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Anyone with any colonies near the Shepherd and Dog Pub in Fulking, Henfield, Sussex. ??? Tel 01273 857382 if you want to educate them
Be aware that some d...head has just sprayed a wild colony of bees with poison:svengo: as they were a nuisance. The colony entrance is not blocked and some robbing is going on. When will they ever learn....

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Heather I would of thought it was a pest control company that has carried out the deed as local councils refuse to kill bees now.

Unless a local farmer has managed to find something to use.

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Hivemaker,

how about all the research into the decline of butterflys and bumblbees,who shuts them in. bugger it,lets blame the weather.
You are not the only one who is exasperated by the fact that as an individual, or even as a forum we can do little to save millions of insects that are going to perish due to these chemicals being used on crops.

Unfortunately we can not go or speak to our "Union" the BBKA because they will not respond to e-mails. I know quite a few of these people very well who are on the exec committee and it now makes me feel uncomfortable in their presence, whereas before it was chatting all the time.

Hivemaker, you are certainly not alone.

Regards;

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Admin, you mentioned about the Spray Liasion Officer, my SLO is 38 miles away from where I keep my bees. So that is no use to man or beast.

Regards;

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
What about the people that actualy buy these "products of saitan" i.e the farmers and crop sprayers?

If you get them on side and they stop buying from BAYER etc and choose a more "green" option, is this not the way forward?

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
It was actually a pest control company brought in to kill the bees - just because they were feral!! Never a thought to contact a local beekeeper- or a council to see if they could be removed safely - well the local newspaper already involved now as we are so exasperated with pig ignorant Companies. They didn't even block the entrance to stop robbing after they sprayed, so many hives locally are at risk now.
Maybe through that outlet we can educate people to try and help nature- not just blow it away.

FenBee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I now have that sinking feeling, as my hive is right next to a field of oil seed rape. OK, I have put fine netting along the fence line to reduce the possibility of spray drift, but this is not going to help if the bees are on the crops. I shall speak to the farmer ASAP, but I expect they too will spray some concoction at the sign of first petal drop!

Like BCrazy I am miles away from the spray liaison officer.

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
It would seem that despite media attention, and all the good publicity, the vast majority of those who have control are still intent on destroying the Honey Bee.

My newest site is within flying distance of rape, i do not yet know what is used, there are too many fields and too many farms to be accurate.

One thing i do know is the safest possible place for bees these days is in my garden, so to hell with authority and the squeamish, im bringing my girls home.

Latest posts