Pocket hole jig

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onge

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH
Hi

Has anyone used one of these things to build there own hives. Looks great just fill the hole afterwards with wood filler (or what ever is appropriate).

Just want to know if theres some reason it won't work before i start getting all excited :)

can you post a link as without seeing it I for one cannot comment.

PH

Here is some info on the method: http://www.axminster.co.uk/article-The-Pocket-Hole-Technique-featuring-Kreg-kregpockethole.htm

I can't see any real benefit for hive making. The screw will have only a very short grip on the hive wall. If you want to use butt joints and screw the hive together do it from the outside, just as you would with nails. That way the screw will work along its full length. Screwing into the end grain is not as good as going across the timber, which is what the pocket hole thingy does, but if you use a long enough screw and plenty of glue it should be strong enough.

Yes it was late when i posted and then i was thinking later, may as well just use a butt joint. could be useful for joining two flat sides i suppose.

Last edited:
Here is some info on the method: http://www.axminster.co.uk/article-The-Pocket-Hole-Technique-featuring-Kreg-kregpockethole.htm

I can't see any real benefit for hive making. The screw will have only a very short grip on the hive wall. If you want to use butt joints and screw the hive together do it from the outside, just as you would with nails. That way the screw will work along its full length. Screwing into the end grain is not as good as going across the timber, which is what the pocket hole thingy does, but if you use a long enough screw and plenty of glue it should be strong enough.

A joiner friend of used to say " A nail is as good as a screw when used in the end grain of timber " :).

John Wilkinson

Agreed not ideal in end-grain but they are pretty good if long enough and put in 'on the tosh'. Screws, that is.

Regards, RAB

Another of his was "Can't knock a nail in straight?. "DON'T knock a nail in straight".

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back