ply wood hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uppy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi just looked on flea bay to see what hives are for sale and i saw some
painted plywood nationals for £70 what do the members think

I make all mine from ply. Only draw back is the weight of it, compaired to cedar or poly.

for £70 i can make 4 BB 8 Supers and 4 floors/roofs

I'm seeing £80 + £12.50 delivery... EDIT: found him. "Pianted" ... Spelling matters when you want a search to find you. £70 Collection only, Bristol. 3 left.
Have you considered paying just a little more, painting it yourself, and going plastic?

I make all mine from ply. ...
for £70 i can make 4 BB 8 Supers and 4 floors/roofs
But I can see ply's attraction to the DIY builder from scratch.
Not so attractive to a buyer though.

Last edited:
I got a skip load almost of plywood off cuts from a local van ply lining company, lots of decent stuff in there including some birch ply which makes excellent nukes, if you use urea based resin powder glue it waterproofs the visible laminations at the ends.

You could join in at your local night school courses which start at around now, and during the winter make yourself a collection of stuff and save buket loads of cash if you scrumage around builders skips for free timber, before someone else takes it for heating therms.

Learn how to do dovetails if you go and make boxes which will last so much longer.

Uppy, this member thinks it is noticeable that both you and the eBay seller choose not to use any upper case letters at all, AND absolutely no punctuation at all. Not even a single full stop from either of you!
Which is rather an odd coincidence.

Its even stranger that back in July, you posted this
been making 2 bee hives out of 18mm ply 3 more to gobee-smillie

You aren't 'chris' ('chris3115cats') by any chance, are you?

1559606_340_1116081430036-spam.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me why there are such barriers to barring their fellow countrymen from helping themselves to help others, really shows ones own insecurities.
Those that normally do these things are normally walking in shoes made by children, hence the term, Walking on Childerick.
One day we will all come to realise that we all need each other.
Once more unto the breach dear contrymen or fill up the holes in our heads with disscontent, slight regard and a whole lot of crap made by children.

Tut Tut !!

The members we have are not stupid,they will catch you out in 5 seconds if you spam..

Well done everyone :cheers2:

It never ceases to amaze me why there are such barriers to barring their fellow countrymen from helping themselves to help others, really shows ones own insecurities.
Those that normally do these things are normally walking in shoes made by children, hence the term, Walking on Childerick.
One day we will all come to realise that we all need each other.
Once more unto the breach dear contrymen or fill up the holes in our heads with disscontent, slight regard and a whole lot of crap made by children.
You seem to have missed the point.

The point is not one of holier-than-thou principle.

It is a principle of keeping the forum self-sustaining (through members own donations) as a way of keeping the forum free from influence, and hence possible squabbling, corruption, arguments and such like. An independent message board, free for unbiased discussion.

If you allow 1 person, with just 10 posts to their name to start pushing their stuff, and arguably only using this forum as a vehicle to do so....then understandably, other members, who make their living from beekeeping and selling equipment will feel upset, that they as contributors to beginners on this forum and as donators to this forum, don't get the same treatment.

Then still, yet more suppliers will feel other members are getting more 'coverage' than them on this forum.. So they feel the need to add more...making the thread and post content deteriortate into a free-for-all advertising match.

The whole place becomes a free-for-all fuelled by jealousy, bitterness and general one-upmanship to get the most coverage of your product. How much 'coverage' is fair? How is it measured?

No.

There are professional sites for selling equipment. If it's good enough, it will get bought and word will get around.

Using an internet message board to piggy-back on whilst making NO contribution to its upkeep and worse still NO contribution to helping beginners on here is taking the p!ss.

No it's not a perfect world.
We're all 'un-pc' in some way or other.
Carbon footprint, clothes from malaysia, environmentally unfriendly......you name it.....that's not the point and to bring that up is not addressing the real issue at hand. Nice try at steering it away though.

This forum is kept free from advertising so members can discuss beekeeping and make up their own mind on what products to buy. Without undercurrents of jealousy creeping in.

I would actually say this forum actively supports, home makers of equipment to sell. Because this forum needn't be run off donations. It could be run off a sponsorship from Tho***s instead. And then we'll have a forum, but it will take away more money from those lay-people trying to make a living from their family business, by more and more new-bees buying equipment from the big guns.

So it is wrong to use other peoples' money who pay for this forum, for your own end to sell equipment and not contribute at all back in any way.
Personal gain and no return.

So next time you get on your high horse, think a little before you type.

:rant:

:iagree:

There are few enough unbiased, non commercial sources of information on the web.

It is a principle of keeping the forum self-sustaining (through members own donations) as a way of keeping the forum free from influence, and hence possible squabbling, corruption, arguments and such like. An independent message board, free for unbiased discussion.

If you allow 1 person, with just 10 posts to their name to start pushing their stuff, and arguably only using this forum as a vehicle to do so....then understandably, other members, who make their living from beekeeping and selling equipment will feel upset, that they as contributors to beginners on this forum and as donators to this forum, don't get the same treatment.

Then still, yet more suppliers will feel other members are getting more 'coverage' than them on this forum.. So they feel the need to add more...making the thread and post content deteriortate into a free-for-all advertising match.

The whole place becomes a free-for-all fuelled by jealousy, bitterness and general one-upmanship to get the most coverage of your product. How much 'coverage' is fair? How is it measured?

No.

There are professional sites for selling equipment. If it's good enough, it will get bought and word will get around.

Using an internet message board to piggy-back on whilst making NO contribution to its upkeep and worse still NO contribution to helping beginners on here is taking the p!ss.

Carbon footprint, clothes from malaysia, environmentally unfriendly......you name it.....that's not the point and to bring that up is not addressing the real issue at hand. Nice try at steering it away though.

This forum is kept free from advertising so members can discuss beekeeping and make up their own mind on what products to buy. Without undercurrents of jealousy creeping in.

I would actually say this forum actively supports, home makers of equipment to sell. Because this forum needn't be run off donations. It could be run off a sponsorship from Tho***s instead. And then we'll have a forum, but it will take away more money from those lay-people trying to make a living from their family business, by more and more new-bees buying equipment from the big guns.

So it is wrong to use other peoples' money who pay for this forum, for your own end to sell equipment and not contribute at all back in any way.

No.

That was a merry message with some relevant points, others obviously from the heart, super, smashing, great as Jim would say :rolleyes:

I don't agree totally and believe in free enterprise, I have made the stuff for myself and helped others who have already contacted me for further help and advice into doing the same for themselves, no monies spent but saved.

Does this then jeapordise the living of those making a living from what I have offered for free? Bar my ISP costs.

Listen, we all have overheads to contend with and any said forum is no different to any government that needs the public purse to survive in a monetary system designed to devide and control.

If the information is free and the delivery for that information not free, then we are taking risks from the off if we cannot to fund said forum.

Contributions come in all shape and forms, saving others the pain and anguish from the wolves by being able to do and think for themselves is part and parcel to elliminating any majority rule, then we might be able to live in peace.

The auction seller is only trying to ease the pain of chasing the MONEY which we argue endlessly about.

Live and let live, charity starts at home, not in a board room with endless and scenceless rules designed to divide and control.

Again help those who wamt to help themselves, don't ask or beg for con-tributions in the form of the Faits for your own survival because this is how we are all being undone.

Or you could always ask Maggie what she thinks.

Latest posts

Back