Please help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivetool2021

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, I have a small colony in my garden and have noticed after a couple of days a few dead bees outside the nuc box. , I have attached a photo, has any one else had this happen to their bees

Attachments

• 20210527_113411.jpg
    20210527_113411.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • 20210527_113402.jpg
    20210527_113402.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
Hi all, I have a small colony in my garden and have noticed after a couple of days a few dead bees outside the nuc box. , I have attached a photo, has any one else had this happen to their bees
Yes perfectly normal to see dead bees outside the hive. As the old saying goes, where there's livestock there's deadstock.

Make sure they have enough room. They will build up really quickly now it has warmed up. Colonies don't stay small! Not the reason for the dead bees tho, that is just natural!

In summer the lifespan of a worker honeybee is 6 weeks. So if you have a hive with (say) 18,000 bees in it, that's over 400 dying a day ,every day.

Make sure they have some stores, I almost lost a nuc due to lack of stores. The nuc had had stores the week previous and I was only alerted to their plight due to some drone larvae being dumped out side

Are all the other dead ones wingless too?

Check the wings as suggested above, all I get is a blurred image but it doesn’t look right. Check stores and investigate varroa load there’s probably a reason there still in a nuc box!!. As others have said dead bees are common at the entrance you’ll need to get used to it. Ian

edit.......now I can open the pic it’s clearly not a drone😄

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back