Please help me identify this bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjt

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 at two out apiaries
About 100 of this type of bee have recently been found on the balcony and just inside a second floor flat in Sussex. Can anyone help me identify it?

Attachments

• unknown bee 1.jpg
    unknown bee 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 69
About 100 of this type of bee have recently been found on the balcony and just inside a second floor flat in Sussex. Can anyone help me identify it?

Looks like a small virgin queen in that pic.. but wdik?

Andrena certainly but I think it may be A. tibilais lor A. ovatula

Not Andrena wilkella or ovatula, no hair bands. Flight period is wrong for A tibialis and the underlying tibia are dark in this bee, not orange. My feel is it could be a very faded A nigroaenea with the dark tip to the abdomen but I would be happier with a bit more detail such as where found, when exactly and I'd also be happier with a side view as well as a facial shot. Andrena nigroaenea is known to have a second brood in some parts so I'm saying a tentative A nigroaenea but I can get Stuart Roberts from The Bees, Wasps and Ants Recording Society to take a look if you like to say for certain :)

Edit: thinking about it how big was it? Honeybee size or much smaller?

They were found during the last two weeks of June, 2nd floor flat balcony, about 30 dead ones twice, a couple of days apart and one or two found other days. These were found in Rottingdean on the South Coast, a few miles from Brighton. They are very slightly smaller than a honey bee. I was only given dead ones and they were rather fragile so no side views unfortunately.
If any more are found I'll see if I can add some more photos.
The elderly gentleman who lives in the flat was mainly concerned that they could be my bees which are hived not far away. He thought he might have done something to harm them.

If there are several in one place then this narrows the choice. Some species nest in aggregations e.g Andrena flavipes the yellow legged mining bee.

Latest posts

Back