Platic metal end to Hoffman conversion (or v-v)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
One of the pains with Pains is they ship their nucs with plastic metal ends. With a Hoffman standard (standard National boxes), I have a conversion problem. I have been running them side by side but gauging 1 3/8 or 1/7/16 inch is not a forte, although little wooden blocks help... I have googled and searched the forum but no luck. What's the best way forward? Swap out the top bars and let the bees sort out the mess? Whittle the plastic metal ends? Or is there-hahahahaha-a conversion kit?

"Platic" - bother; sorry.

get a strip of castellation - use as a gauge.

Making a gauge is a good method - used by many Warre-ers, instead of nails.

Another neat trick to adjust top bar spacings is to drill small holes in alternate sides of top bars (alternate 'corners' - like the Hoffman 'sharp edges'), then insert thin woodscrews of a suitable length - the larger the head the better - and wind 'em in and out to adjust the spacing that way.

LJ

I normally only use hoffman 14x12 but in a mix of frames I use hoffman converter clips, not ideal but keeps the hoffman spacing of 35mm

they fit on the down bars of DN1 or SN1

The £hornes of wragby retailer sells them at a fiver for fifty

Last edited:
I normally only use hoffman 14x12 but in a mix of frames I use hoffman converter clips, not ideal but keeps the hoffman spacing of 35mm

they fit on the down bars of DN1 or SN1

The £hornes of wragby retailer sells them at a fiver for fifty

These things are the answer.
They are cheap enough to give to the afflicted.

Latest posts

Back