Plate warming cabinet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks both - edit: sorry, all three! - I must have been writing while you posted, Philip.

So only one plug needed. That's good news. Better get that appointment made at the tip!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. - wonderful help, as always.

Thanks both - edit: sorry, all three! - I must have been writing while you posted, Philip.

So only one plug needed. That's good news. Better get that appointment made at the tip!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. - wonderful help, as always.
Check you local freecycle ... always fridges on there - you don't need to decommission it .. just don't use the fridge ... unless of course you want to chill the booze when you are not warming honey !

Thank you all for your replies.

Sorry, Newbeeneil, I didn't clarify - I was wondering if I could use a tube with thermostat on its own? without the need for a controller...
you can atually get an STCW thermostat now that you can just plug the heater into - no need for wiring it in

you can atually get an STCW thermostat now that you can just plug the heater into - no need for wiring it in
Thanks Emyr,

Any suggestions as to a good example of one? I've just googled and am none the wiser, really, thanks

The power lead goes into the STC 1000.
The tube heater is wired direct into the STC 1000

STC 1000 monitors the temperature, and activates the heater when needed, turns it off when not.

The STC1000 is accurate enough to keep a constant temperature. I use them in incubators and brooders. More accurate than most 'built in' thermostats on tube heaters.
I use this setup with 2 tube heaters and the STC1000 for my warming cabinet. There is an issue in that the STC1000 can only control the temperature up to that of the heater thermostats. I *think* my heaters cut out at about 35 degrees, so If I set my STC1000 to 40 degrees, I still only get about 35 degrees.

I use this setup with 2 tube heaters and the STC1000 for my warming cabinet. There is an issue in that the STC1000 can only control the temperature up to that of the heater thermostats. I *think* my heaters cut out at about 35 degrees, so If I set my STC1000 to 40 degrees, I still only get about 35 degrees.
That's why I recommended the Hausen heater I bought (on ebay, but other sources are available) in an earlier post - I believe the thermal cutout is a 130°C

That's why I recommended the Hausen heater I bought (on ebay, but other sources are available) in an earlier post - I believe the thermal cutout is a 130°C
I'll get one (or maybe 2) thanks. i've never seen any advertised where the cut out temp is part of the spec

I stick a 30lb bucket in our fan oven on its lowest setting (under 50c) with the door open overnight. Works very well.

I stick a 30lb bucket in our fan oven on its lowest setting (under 50c) with the door open overnight. Works very well.
The average oven heating element is 1.5kw to 2.0kw ... plus if the doors is open it's going to be running pretty constantly with the fan going ... I'm too mean to use that much electricity !!!

. . . . . . . Then all I'd need is the ST1000 controller . . . . . . . . .
This controller may indeed be suitable, BUT I wonder whether you have received any clarity on the voltage of the power supply to which it may be connected?
While searching various websites for more information on these controllers, I have seen references to 110-220 volts, but not for 240 or 250 volts. If this controller can adapt to voltages within the range of 110 to 220 volts, then is it likely to function reliably if connected to a 250 volt supply?
I hope that someone with electronics expertise is able to provide more information concerning this controller.

This controller may indeed be suitable,
It is - eminently suitable, used by probably tens of thousands of people in the UK, and not just beekeepers, the one installed in my warming cabinet probably more than eight years ago has been on almost continually and I have had no issues with it.

The average oven heating element is 1.5kw to 2.0kw ... plus if the doors is open it's going to be running pretty constantly with the fan going ... I'm too mean to use that much electricity !!!
Normally I am very frugal with everything especially where precious cash is involved. But in this case I make it an exception I can live with, despite possibly adding to climate warming. Sorry but it works best for me with all my other pressures, including being sole carer for my wife with alzheimers. Forgiven?:cry::cry:

Normally I am very frugal with everything especially where precious cash is involved. But in this case I make it an exception I can live with, despite possibly adding to climate warming. Sorry but it works best for me with all my other pressures, including being sole carer for my wife with alzheimers. Forgiven?:cry::cry:
You won't get any criticism from me ... you have enough to cope with without making life more difficult ... if it works for you who am I to suggest you do otherwise ...

You won't get any criticism from me ... you have enough to cope with without making life more difficult ... if it works for you who am I to suggest you do otherwise ...
Ta - and best wishes to you.

I'm sorry this is very belated. The bees have got ahead of me... Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the suggestions and advice. Very much appreciated, thank you.

Latest posts

Back