Plate warming cabinet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bontbee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than before
I'm after the combined wisdom of the forum, please.

Has anyone considered using something like this: Hot cupboard Plate warmer 60 plates Ø320mm | Adexa EPW1 as a warming cabinet? Can anyone see any probs with doing so? I like the look of the one in Maisemore's catalogue, but £1200 plus is, unfortunately, a bit beyond me.

Any contributions gratefully received, thank you.

Well its a controllable way of warming up honey, though its only capable of holding something with a diameter of 320mm (around 12.5 inches), - what are the overall internal dimensions? but for the price difference wow..................

My buckets are just about 320mm diameter - including the handle fixings. The blurb gives the internal dimensions as 415x385x663mm. I'm hoping to get a look at one next week - if I can find a supplier who will let me.

How do you use a tea urn to warm honey? The thing I am picturing has an element at the bottom of the "tub" to heat water. How do you separate the honey bucket from the element? I'm always a bit wary of heating honey in water - though I do do it if I need a few jars cleared. Probably an irrelevant worry, but all that steam bothers me. Thanks

How do you use a tea urn to warm honey? The thing I am picturing has an element at the bottom of the "tub" to heat water. How do you separate the honey bucket from the element? I'm always a bit wary of heating honey in water - though I do do it if I need a few jars cleared. Probably an irrelevant worry, but all that steam bothers me. Thanks
Here’s mine. Takes a 30lb bucket or 15 jars of honey

Attachments

• 8EBBC0FB-F2FC-45DD-BA2F-1946CF3A51CD.jpeg
    8EBBC0FB-F2FC-45DD-BA2F-1946CF3A51CD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 07E8B955-A0CD-4812-9395-61A28887FC63.jpeg
    07E8B955-A0CD-4812-9395-61A28887FC63.jpeg
    1,014 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for the pix, Dani.

That looks like a swish tea urn. But I can't see an element...is it beneath the tank, separate from the water? And what is the trivet you've got in there, please? I'm guessing that's not part of the original set up. Thanks

Thanks for the pix, Dani.

That looks like a swish tea urn. But I can't see an element...is it beneath the tank, separate from the water? And what is the trivet you've got in there, please? I'm guessing that's not part of the original set up. Thanks
I have a similar urn, got it from Lidl last year. The element is in the base, sealed from the water. Mine came with the trivit. A 30lb honey bucket fits in beautifully.

I'm after the combined wisdom of the forum, please.

Has anyone considered using something like this: Hot cupboard Plate warmer 60 plates Ø320mm | Adexa EPW1 as a warming cabinet? Can anyone see any probs with doing so? I like the look of the one in Maisemore's catalogue, but £1200 plus is, unfortunately, a bit beyond me.

Any contributions gratefully received, thank you.
That's a 0.75KW element in there .... that's quite a lot of electricity it is going to be using compared to a tube heater ... the cabinet does not look as though it has much insulation either ... most of us make do with an old fridge and ST1000 controller and a tube heater ... fridge usually free - tube heater and controller £25 tops ... even if you have to pay an electrician for an hour of his time to wire it up you are going to be hard pushed to spend £60 ... for what would be a much more efficient and economic to run cabinet ...

Thanks Pargyle.

I used to have a fridge with a light bulb, but gave it away. P'raps I can get a replacement, de-gassed fridge at the recycling tip - if I can get an appointment!

I know a spark, and he owes me! Then all I'd need is the ST1000 controller and a tube heater. Summat like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Temperatur...ocphy=9045404&hvtargid=pla-438679857574&psc=1?

and this
45w 1ft Energy Saving Tubular Heater - IP55?

Wow! 48W cf. 750W (I had to goggle the number of wattsits in a kW, but if I've got the calcs right, that's one heck of a reduction in juice needed).

Probably a daft question, but the spark isn't here to ask....how many plug sockets are needed; can they be wired into the same plug? (she says, hesitantly).

Thanks

Here’s mine. Takes a 30lb bucket or 15 jars of honey

I managed to find one on special in Lidl few months ago after seeing them on here

Works well

Still waiting to see vacumn pack sealer in my local store only been able to find the bags so far

Thank you all for your replies.

Sorry, Newbeeneil, I didn't clarify - I was wondering if I could use a tube with thermostat on its own? without the need for a controller...

Probably a daft question, but the spark isn't here to ask....how many plug sockets are needed; can they be wired into the same plug? (she says, hesitantly).

Thanks

The power lead goes into the STC 1000.
The tube heater is wired direct into the STC 1000

STC 1000 monitors the temperature, and activates the heater when needed, turns it off when not.

The STC1000 is accurate enough to keep a constant temperature. I use them in incubators and brooders. More accurate than most 'built in' thermostats on tube heaters.

Thank you all for your replies.

Sorry, Newbeeneil, I didn't clarify - I was wondering if I could use a tube with thermostat on its own? without the need for a controller...
As Drewdrew says the installed thermostat is probably not accurate enough to keep an accurate temperature as the max and min cut outs may well be 5 degrees different. I can set my thermostat to 0.1 of a degree.
If you are heating honey you need to make sure you don't over heat it.

Would something like this, complete with thermostat work? Though I can't see any indication of the temperature range...

https://www.qbicheating.co.uk/sunho...nid=6515034668&adgroupid=76390274537&keyword=
The built in thermostats are not very accurate - OK if you are trying to keep a spare room aired but for a warming cabinet the ST1000 is much better - the ST1000 won't work with a heater that has the built in thermostat unless you can disable the in-built stat - better to go with the Hausen tube - that's the one I have - works well and barely the wattage of a light bulb.

Snap .... and SNAP .... beat me to it ....

Latest posts

Back