Plastic 'Miller feeders'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Seem to remember at Stonleigh there were a few suppliers of large plastic feeders the sort that simply sat on top the hive like a 'Miller' feeder, i have found them on the Maisemore site:

http://www.bees-online.co.uk/view.asp?ID=1176

But wondered if there were any other suppliers I'm sure there was but my regualr haunts aren't showing anything up.

Thanks

C B

I have bought two and they have Maisemore stamped in the plastic so i guess they may own the rights, they are going to be the only two at that price and with a lot more than two to feed i will choose carefully what colony they go on and when

I have bought two and they have Maisemore stamped in the plastic so i guess they may own the rights, they are going to be the only two at that price and with a lot more than two to feed i will choose carefully what colony they go on and when

How do you find them? Are they sturdy enough? Am I right in thinking they sit directly on the top of the brood box. The price puts me off but might invest in a couple to try if any good.

Miller Feeders should go above or in place of the crown board, as there is no means for the bees to bypass them.

To restock or stock with feed take off the roof and add to the resevoir.

I've made both of my Langstroth millers. They're not difficult to make, unless you want to make one of the double resevoir ones with the access via the diagonal.

Not wanting to change your mind on purchase - that is your choice.

However my feeling is they may be OK when empty, on or off the colony and may be OK when filled while on the colony; it is that in-between bit that would concern me - some feed in it and wanting to remove it. It will happen sooner or later. Not the usual scenario, I know, but something I would keep in mind.....

Regards, RAB

They are Maisemore's design and outworked build. Sturdy and well made, easily holding 2 gallons (but better to fill in place as this amount will slop with the inherent flex of the sidewalls when lifting). The dual internal cups fit into a machined groove with a reassuring positive action. I am using two (it would be more but they're not cheap). It is no problem to move them around with smaller quantities (a gallon for example), but it is wise to take it slowly or risk spillage with the inevitable movement of syrup.

Last edited:
Miller Feeders should go above or in place of the crown board, as there is no means for the bees to bypass them.To restock or stock with feed take off the roof and add to the resevoir.
QUOTE]

Sorry but I beg to differ. I have several feeders of various types but two are miller feeders (a central channel for the bees to access the syrup). In both cases the metal lid covering the central channel leaves a space under for the bees to mop up the residue in the feeder when bulk of the syrup is gone - very useful if there is a slight tilt as nothing is wasted. For that reason, there is no need to leave the crownboard off just to have to store it somewhere else. Leave it where it belongs IMHO.

Latest posts

Back