Plastic Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondering if anyone has tried out these frames. They look OK and claim to be be better than wood. Although they are more expensive than wood it might be cheaper in the long run if they last longer. Seems as if they can be easily cleaned by boiling or even in the dishwasher.
Thought I might try a few as an experiment but wondered what others thought.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 10
I’ve seen quite a few plastic frames bend over time and any frames are a faff to clean. Frames should be costing you 50p if you factor in your time and the fact poking sticks in your eye is time better spent, most stick with wood. I’d also suggest if you heat/boil plastic they are even more likely to distort!

If a wooden frame comes apart you can nail it back together and if a part of the frame breaks you can either make a repair or replace the part.
So ultimately I think wood will always be longer lasting than plastic which once bent or broken is less easily repaired.
Plus wood is cheaper!

Had some that look like the one in the photo in some nucs I bought a while ago. Flimsy and ill fitting, and all swapped out and binned asap.

Just wondering if anyone has tried out these frames. They look OK and claim to be be better than wood. Although they are more expensive than wood it might be cheaper in the long run if they last longer. Seems as if they can be easily cleaned by boiling or even in the dishwasher.
Thought I might try a few as an experiment but wondered what others thought.

I’ve used these for 10 + years.
Advantages:
1. the two halves open like a book, pop in the foundation, job done. Ideal in my out-apiaries.
2. Much easier to clean after removing old comb.

Disadvantages:
1. COST! Now c. £2 per frame. Huge inflation cf wood seconds!
2. Warp if boiled
3. Wax moth larvae live in the voids of the mouldings.

So: I’m now back to wood!

A better option is to buy the plastic foundation in a frame, usually the a cheaper option the plastic can be scrapped off then one of those tile steam cleaner to complete the clean, rewax and away you go, we generally clean every 2-3 years I have used them for around 15 years.

The only pain is the rewaxing, small roller, heated wax and time.

I would love to try plastic foundation unfortunately I have yet to see it in commercial brood size

I would love to try plastic foundation unfortunately I have yet to see it in commercial brood size
Yeah this is my problem as well. Not a lot of kit out there for those of us on commercial.

That's the reason I advised some newbies I'm mentoring to go for nationals in the end even if it's not the best system. I think it's just easier to be inline with 90% of the country.

I have some national long hives so can help them out from those if they get stuck.

I use plastic foundation with wood frame mixed with normal foundation. Just rub the plastic foundation with some beeswax and away you go. Another option would be rolling warm wax on it as said above, or just spray some sugar syrup on it.

I also tried these plastic frames many years ago. Cleaned them using warm (not boiling) soda solution and they still warped so much as to become unusable. Returned to wooden frames and not looked back...

We use full plastic frames, although these are for Langstroth and not National.

I have to say I love them and have many 1000's of them in use.

It best if using plastic foundation in frames and heat to keep them in the plastic in the frame it helps prevents it warping.
No one makes a big enough single sheet suitable for commercial, I know one commercial customer who tacks a melt of plastic together using a brood and a super foundation.

It best if using plastic foundation in frames and heat to keep them in the plastic in the frame it helps prevents it warping.
No one makes a big enough single sheet suitable for commercial, I know one commercial customer who tacks a melt of plastic together using a brood and a super foundation.
Sounds like a gap in the market for you Patrick. 😜

Latest posts

Back