plastic frame waxing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fincaazul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
any tips on waxing plastic foundation? I did 2 today using a 2" brush and beeswax melted in a double boiler. Used 4oz in all and took half an hour. Have 38 more to do, Langstroth medium. Perhaps a job for the winter months, if you have enough wax.

got to ask, why are you using plastic in the first place?

why not dip them instead of brushing?

I brush mine to as I don't have enough wax to dip them. I use a piece of sponge that I glued to a stick.

I dip it in the wax and swipe it across the frame and it takes only a few seconds to do one side of a shallow frame.

It would seem that not that much wax is required for them to start building and my bees have always so far taken to it just as easy as wax foundation.

you should try everything once, except incest and Morris Dancing
I don't dip frames a I have not got 14lbs of molten wax. Modern beekeeping says that as long as there is wax on the cell base there should not be a problem with drawing out of cells.

Heating and coating wax on Plastic Frames

Hi

Just bought a Langstroth..( is it ) Hive with lots of Plastic Frames......so reading the previous I just coat both sides of the Plastic Frames...maybe with a brush........after heating the wax up to maybe 80 degrees......
Bought the equipment from Modern Beekeeping

Is that all ??

regards

Roy

I have to ask you why? You bought a hive, you seem not to know what it is and you bought (or worse were sold) plastic foundation?

Have I got this right?

PH

Then they do this, if you look at the extreme right you can see the plastic foundation exposed. This section has more wax on than is needed, only the tips of the hexagons need coating.

Oh, and why plastic? A complete frame as illustrated less than £1.50 - compare that with the cost of a wooden frame and foundation which needs replacing every few years. (it's a new colony so furtherest frames are not drawn out yet).
4813390116_65828327c9_b.jpg

Last edited:
To do ours we just melted the wax in a bowl on the stove and used a fleece roller. With practice doesn't take long.

Bought a poly lang and 20 medium frames to suit. I was hoping for a swarm to populate the hive but they seemed to of dried up round these parts several weeks ago now.

So there is always next year.:cheers2:

I managed to get a swarm to a poly lang this year using a lure.

They took straight to the plastic frames no problem at all. And so far I am probably using around 30 of these with success.

Waxing and waning

I just got the Hive yesterday.... and today is painting day..then waxing..this week..I assume you wax both sides of the plastic frames......then time to find some bees..quickly......

Thank you for the advice...

regards

roy

Then they do this, if you look at the extreme right you can see the plastic foundation exposed. This section has more wax on than is needed, only the tips of the hexagons need coating.

Oh, and why plastic? A complete frame as illustrated less than £1.50 - compare that with the cost of a wooden frame and foundation which needs replacing every few years. (it's a new colony so furtherest frames are not drawn out yet).

Second grade frames about 50p each plus foundation at about 50p, i have frames that get re-cycled by hot washing soda dipping every 2-3yrs or whenever the wax needs replacing. Some frames are in excess of 17yrs old and still going strong and make superb kindling when they finally bust.

Each to there own though.

C B

any tips on waxing plastic foundation? I did 2 today using a 2" brush and beeswax melted in a double boiler. Used 4oz in all and took half an hour. Have 38 more to do, Langstroth medium. Perhaps a job for the winter months, if you have enough wax.

Here' a tip; weigh your wax before starting. You will need another 4 3/4 lbs to complete the job.

Oh, and it will take you another 9 1/2 hours, unless you get more proficient.

Further tip - get a bigger brush.

Rooftops or anyone else with plastic foundation

Do you have an experience or guideline info from the manufactures if the frames are given a very light coating or given a very heavy coating of wax. ?

I know the advice given is roller the frames as per the video or dip them but I was wondering how the bees deal with a frame with not enough or too much wax on them.

Back