Plastic Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldwgs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi, I got an email from an equipment supplier today advertising their Plastic Foundation. Has anyone one used it, personally can't get a grip on the point of it. Man made artificial products and Bee don't belong together in my view.

Hi, I got an email from an equipment supplier today advertising their Plastic Foundation. Has anyone one used it, personally can't get a grip on the point of it. Man made artificial products and Bee don't belong together in my view.
I agree... I've not tried it either for much the same reasons. I've enough pir and things in some of my hives that will do for the man made products.

I have some but will not buy more. The problems are that they are heavy compared to wax, it may take time to persuade the bees to draw it out and sometimes the wax they use to cover the plastic does not seem to bond well to new beeswax, resulting in it getting torn in the extractor. Some batches however do not have this problem and lots of professionals do use them. ITLD found when he had an outbreak of disease he had to pay for the plastic to be disposed of as hazardous waste rather than being burned as wood and wax are (a different brand of plastic comb). Also, you cannot melt the wax off them in your wax melter/ Apimelter without warping / melting the plastic.

Back