plastic foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john t

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
im considering trying some plastic foundation, has anyone any experience using this,
is it as durable as they say ? any issues getting the bees working on it ?

I have two nationals with plastic foundation in wooden frames, quick dip in the baby Burco and wash off with pressure washer!
Make sure you coat them well in wax before reuse.

I also gave them and extra coating from new, not had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two nationals with plastic foundation in wooden frames, quick dip in the baby Burco and wash off with pressure washer!
Make sure you coat them well in wax before reuse.

I also gave them and extra coating from new, not had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:yeahthat:

I bought some this year to try and have to say they draw it out ok and have had no problems.

I use it, black for brood and yellow for supers. Very tough plastic. They come 'coated' with wax, but I add more.

Usualy, they are ok. But occasionally they draw columns of comb across the face, or they somehow build the comb above the plastic, leaving a space in between. I scrape these off, and then they have to start again.

I think the bees prefer wax, but they do use the plastic.

Plastic Frames

I bought the black ones to try, as advised coat with wax fantastic results I don’t use anything else now.
Good luck

I use it, black for brood and yellow for supers. Very tough plastic. They come 'coated' with wax, but I add more.

Usualy, they are ok. But occasionally they draw columns of comb across the face, or they somehow build the comb above the plastic, leaving a space in between. I scrape these off, and then they have to start again.

I think the bees prefer wax, but they do use the plastic.

Hmmm - "Honey is a nutritious viscous liquid or crystal product, produced by melliferous bees from the nectar of blossoms or the secretions from, or on the live parts of the plants, which the bees collect, transform, combine with substances they secret, store and leave to ripen in wax combs." Its a natural product. Why, other than for profit, would anyone wish to interfere with that and use plastic ?

Hmmm - "Honey is a nutritious viscous liquid or crystal product, produced by melliferous bees from the nectar of blossoms or the secretions from, or on the live parts of the plants, which the bees collect, transform, combine with substances they secret, store and leave to ripen in wax combs." Its a natural product. Why, other than for profit, would anyone wish to interfere with that and use plastic ?

:iagree: Can't see the point. As with almost everything it seems, if a thing is good it must be better if made from plastic. Not always the case IMHO.

i understand where you are coming from on the plastic issue, and i have always tried to use natural materials where my bees are concerned,

however i have ordered some black foundation for the brood,as i intend to use it for a queen breeding ii program, and as its black i will be able to see the eggs easier and hopefully it will be easier to keep hygienic ,

and as its just a base for the comb which will be covered in a film of wax the bees dont really come into contact with the plastic,

it may be the way forward as they can be cleaned and reused so possibly a good investment

How does plastic foundation stand up to being put in solar wax melters?

How does plastic foundation stand up to being put in solar wax melters?

Slightly better than wax foundation.
You can scrape the comb back to the midrib on plastic though (something you can't do with wax). At the end of the season, when the bees can make a mess of things, thats a good thing.

Last edited:
Back