plastic foundation/frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the druggist

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All

New beek. I have one colony in a beehaus. Just read an article in BKQ on plastic foundation and frames.

Has anyone used these and if so what are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance

Tony

From what I have read (and typical of beekeeping) it is love or hate.

The foundation is still painted with wax, but some bees will work it happily and some won't!!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

I started using them this year and so far I think they are very good. Took a little time for the colony to draw out the frames but once they started they quickly draw out 8 of the 10 frames.

I'm pretty sure they don't make them in 14x12 yet for your beehaus.

Rooftops has more experience using them so he may be able to answer your questions more thoroughly but I think this youtube video is John (Rooftops) working his hive with plastic frames.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQ7bmjJcVE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrQ7bmjJcVE[/ame]

Thanks for the replies, thought that 14x12s may be a problem. Seen the vis too (after a search!).

Interesting how peeps think something new is bad! Any one any experience of using this year?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the replies, thought that 14x12s may be a problem. Seen the vis too (after a search!).

Interesting how peeps think something new is bad! Any one any experience of using this year?

Cheers

Tony
I don't think it is so much 'new is bad' but if you are paying out - you want to be sure it will work. Then you know that every advert is by someone wanting you to buy their product - so they won't give the negatives - and every product has them...

As mentioned above you can't get one piece plastic frames and foundation in any National sizes. The only solution would be to use a wooden frame and insert some plastic foundation in it, which is a tried and tested method. The US Perco foundation cut down would work, although the sheets are not big enough for 14 * 12 so there will be a joint.

I don't know where you can get Perco foundation but Swienty probably have it.

"Cerial Killer"

Having just had a chat with Rooftops at the NHS this morning, been impressed by his new poly "city hive" and plastic frames and been shown the video of waxing the foundation I suddenly had a macabre thought....

...anyone else on here a fan of Dexter?

(if you are but don't get the reason recheckout the video clip!!!!!)

I have experience of plastic foundation - for this last year and previously.

Fixing is important at first. If the bees, as they often do, start below the top frame bar and do not get to the edges PDQ, the weight can dislodge the plastic foundation, which is a bear. When fully drawn and in position - no difference to wax foundation, excepting they will not go 'bang' in the extractor!

I have some standard and shallow plastic foundation, but none in 14 x 12 I don't use standard, but they were sold at shallow price at the time! I have considered trying two sheets but getting both sides lined up at the joint is difficult and I don't know what the bees might do when drawing the comb and coming to a funny base shape, so I have refrained from doing it thus far.

I think all plastic frames are probably good, the mixed - not quite so good. But I am not complaining of those that have been completely drawn.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back