Plastic carrier bags

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Is it just me or do you now not have any plastic carrier bags in your house???

We use all those "bag for life" etc. Once was a time "when I was a lad" we would be down the supermarket and come back with 10 or more carrier bags, almost one for each item.

But now when I want a bag for something, I do not have one!

We purchased a dozen of those hesian bags from the local corn merchants so dont bother so much with the shop got plastic bags.

We do have a store of them left as single use poop scoops though.

Do those hesian bags get sprayed or coated ?
Its just they could come in handy when the wifes not looking for the smoker :)

Haha Admin,asked my wife a while ago where she got the hessian bags,and said ah, smoker fuel,but the one's we have are coated in something.so would not use them.

Once was a time "when I was a lad" we would be down the supermarket and come back with 10 or more carrier bags, almost one for each item.

You must be fairly young. . . . . . . I can remember when Tesco's and the like used to charge for carrier bags, then they started giving them away. But then again I can also remember when the groceries were delivered by a boy on a bike, now they come in a van.
If it bothers you, use the home delivery service - the bags are still available there, on the other hand you could buy some :ack2:

Is unlimited free plastic bags the way forward? We've managed without for an awful long time. :)

Frisbee

hessian bags make good smoker fuel and i get my wife to save them form our pet shop, we tend to sell more nuts in the winter month but do sell them all year round so they do tend to build up a bit.
Ive found the best way to use them is leave them in the garden out in the weather for a bit and then let them dry before burning in the smoker.

for dog walkers we do sell dog bags that are scented but i often use a super market bag for cheapness, maybe this will be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Is unlimited free plastic bags the way forward? We've managed without for an awful long time. :)

Frisbee

No I do not want unlimited free bags, it was just an observation I made the other day when looking for a bag to put some stuff in...we do not have any.

I think that is progress?

PS thanks for the comment that you think I am a young lad (i think!)

Have the same problem, but have found a solution if your supermarket has self service checkouts you can just use as many as you like.

Now before anyone starts jumping up and down on me for using plastic bags, i like an awful lot of other people i suspect use them as a halfway house before the dustbin, and yes that means they go to landfill, but it does mean i am not buying plastic bags to put rubbish in.
reducing the ammount of carrier bags the supermarkets put out does not reduce the ammount of plastic in circulation just means the plastic companies make a better margin by selling rubbish bags rather than the knockdown price the supermarkets pay for carriers.

Thanks for that Guys.

It was a Chinese person who joined at the begining but never posted until now.

Very sneaky spam trick.

He was posting faster than I could delete his membership.

Back