Plants for pollinators

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I came across the following paper yesterday and found it very helpful. I appreciate that trees and shrubs provide the most profuse flowers but for those who want to plant relevant annuals/perennials, then do have a glance. I tend to plant in 3s, (at least) otherwise they can go unused.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10841-019-00177-3I don't find garden centre labels generally very useful, particularly those from Dutch growers. I am never sure whether the variety is of no use to pollinators or whether the grower just can't be bothered to state it. With our current state of play with reduced insects and the ever increasing hybridisation of plants for extra petals and 'prettiness' etc at the expense of nectar, I am grateful for said papers.
Needless to say, I have now ordered some Lesser Catmint to bump up the usual Nepeta:) .

I came across the following paper yesterday and found it very helpful. I appreciate that trees and shrubs provide the most profuse flowers but for those who want to plant relevant annuals/perennials, then do have a glance. I tend to plant in 3s, (at least) otherwise they can go unused.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10841-019-00177-3I don't find garden centre labels generally very useful, particularly those from Dutch growers. I am never sure whether the variety is of no use to pollinators or whether the grower just can't be bothered to state it. With our current state of play with reduced insects and the ever increasing hybridisation of plants for extra petals and 'prettiness' etc at the expense of nectar, I am grateful for said papers.
Needless to say, I have now ordered some Lesser Catmint to bump up the usual Nepeta:) .
Good read.
The most popular flower in my garden is oregano. It flowers for a long time and I have masses if it.

Thanks for sharing, interesting stuff in there.
Very interesting indeed. I've increased considerably insect-attracting plants in my flower borders this year, and pleased to see a number of my choices appear in the chart. As Beegarden says, there needs to be a certain density of planting to encourage insect visits - l reckon six of the same plant, except origanum or marjoram when just one will do!

Latest posts

Back