planting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
spent most of today at the allotment , it makes me feel great to start planting seeds, so far I have planted 20 early peas and another 20 broad beans, as they have been to badly frosted and i have got some more salad leaf seeds in today, tommorow is the day of the onions and leeks, anyone else planting at the moment, the wife hates this time of year because i start to fill the house up with pots of seedlings because the green house/poly tunnel is un heated:):)

Well done, I'm just thinking about going outside to the veg plot. Going to try onions from seed this year, despite failures in the past. Will try them in modules under glass. Must get some beans in too. If I can muster the energy to get out there...

My veg patch is still to wet to dig over at the moment although my wife has done a bit of light weeding. We`ve got a couple of poly tunnels but it`d cost a fortune to heat them. We bought a small (5x4) greenhouse with that twin wall polycarbonate and that`s ideal to heat for seedlings.

regards,
Darren.

Not here pete , I am still up to my knees in mud on the allotment, but got plenty of seeds going in the 12 x 8 greenhouse (heated with gas bottles) at home.

whimps, heating and green houses, I bet you evan have proper glass in them rather than plastic sheeting, god I am so jealous, at my old plot i had a massive glass green house, I welded up a fifty gallon barrel into a log burner unit , it was built big so I could load it with cut up pallets (free) and it would burn down over night, start it off at 8pm but had to be back by 5 am to refill it, now all I have is nothing, not evan a candle, arhh:(

the green house i have has stood up well to the weather it was the beans and peas outside that copped it they were all around a foot tall so the snow did its worst so replanted peas inside ,no heat and beans outside,

dave, the words raised beds springs to mind,, but they are very marmite you either love em or hate em, at the old plot we needed them as the soil was only 5 inchs thin and here its to walk and weed when wet, my ground if you walk on it sets like concrete at times,

I have several big boxs full of half seed packets and when i have finished here i am off doing a joyous thing of seed packet rustling , love it

A bit off topic but has anyone got or knows anyone who has got a Howard Gem rotator for sale.

I've been trying to get one for months.

I'm willing to travel.

Cheers and good luck with the beans.

Theres nothing quite like rustling through the seed packets is there? :)

I give my seeds to my mum to start off for me - no room in the house, and the greenhouse isnt warm enough. She uses her conservatory to grow seeds.
I have to let her have some of what Ive asked her to grow though - not a bad trade off, I feel!

Sorry to annoy you Pete, but also have a glass, and heated, greenhouse- (and a second small unheated one :sifone: ) AND have a little Merry Tiller rotovator!!

But on the minus side- my garden floods at the drop of a hat- been under water for 4 weeks on and off- so need to start from scratch each year, as many plants suffer. All strawbs a write off. - But have 30 more growing on in the greenhouse to plant out when ground ready.

All shelves full at the mo - winter cuttings coming on - but they will have to move over soon - am also rustling seed packets- Yippee:)

heather i am so jealous, I cant evan have plastic panels in the green house because the locals throwing bricks, I realy miss my heated large green house at this time of year early feb it would start to fill up with lts and lots of pots and trays, I tried the onne year growing enough seddlings to sell at the car boot aswell, it sort of worked I got my money that i wanted but it was a lot of hard work for the outlay and return,

just woke up this morning to find we have had a scattering of snow last night

well, I was going to sow some seeds this morning, but, we had 3 inches of snow last night!!

No planting for me yet apart from the garlic last year I will after work visit to continue on the cold frame I am making looking forward to that this year

Off to Wilkos and pound land this aft for a look of their gardening stuff.

Mainly potatos I am after. Still got a few buckets from last years crop, starting to chitt so will use them as a "mixed" bunch of earlys in green house.

Onions and garlic I planted as sets last October are about 2" though the ground now.

Also aim to have all sow seeds and push them on in the warmth of the house (spare room) for fist early crops.

Last edited:
Still too early here and the 10 x 8 green house is both unheated and full of supers... odd that..LOL

We think we will fire up the propagator in a couple of weeks time.
PH

Latest posts

Back