Plant loss 'leads to fewer bees'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The decline of honeybees seen in many countries may be due to reduced plant diversity, research suggests.

Read More...

That makes sense although I think this has long been suspected. They used to lose 30% of colonies that went to the almond crops in the US before CCD came along.

All meat and no veg good for no man!!

And modern flowers being created- doubles, trebles- no use to bees- lets get back to basics. nature knows best:cheers2:

Did I hear France are instructing wild flower seeds to be scattered on road sides to encourage insect foraging -

In the parks near me they have stopped cutting the grass as a religion so as to let the clover ect to flower and also leaving parts of the parks to grow naturally. They are only small islands but its surprising how much insect life they attract.

I like that idea Tom,It would cut down on the cost of grascutting tenders as well,maybe with the money saved they could sprinkle a little more wild flower seed.

My local council announced yesterday that they had planted 1 million Crocus bulbs last year,they also planted 140,000 Daff bulbs(They should of spent the Daff money on more Crocus).

I was reading during the winter that the guy who used to be in charge of the parks and gardens for 40 years was a very keen beekeeper,and did a very sly move of always planting trees and plants that were of benefit to bees.

Swings and roundabouts:(

France is going to sow flower seeds along verges - goodnews

The French Agriculture minister has authorised the use of "Cruiser" on maize. Cruiser is a neonicitinoid - aaaarrrgh - bad bad news

Mike

Latest posts

Back