Plant identification

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edwardking

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
View attachment 10853Help! I've been visiting the beautiful Port Marine in Portishead and there's big bushes of these plants all over the marina, covered in bees. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Last edited:
Not sure what the plant is, but that's not one of the bees that's been working it...

Beat me to it YB! 'Cept I thinks it's a hover fly. This is the bee fly:

Last edited:
Looks like a shrub I have in my garden, flowers in April and sometimes again in September, sorry forgot the name.

ahh, that's the one. I was thinking of Philadelphus, but that flowers much earlier.

Beeflies are out in April / May and I don't think they have a second brood...

Thanks everyone! Now I know what to ask for at the garden centre tomorrow.
And for those trying to identify the bee - it's a honey bee, AMM.

Hi EK, did it get it's antennae and hind wings chewed off then?!

Hi EK, did it get it's antennae and hind wings chewed off then?!

It's just a poor photo! Next time I'll ask her to pose in a different position - she wasn't listening this time. I'll seek her out tomorrow and have a quiet word with her.

sorry :blush5: I see lots and lots of pics of this insect, being referred to as bees. The eyes aren't right and I think she lost her pollen baskets too!! (I know that on the one below has an apparently different shaped abdomen, but I think that yours has hers/his tucked downwards).
A awful lot of beekeepers think they are bees, too, until they look more closely. There was a previous post showing a plant covered in these flies, which I did query, but didn't push the point.

Not sure what the plant is, but that's not one of the bees that's been working it...

Beat me to it YB! 'Cept I thinks it's a hover fly. This is the bee fly:

Bah meant to write hover fly.

Seeing loads on daisey looking plants in the field next to one of my apiaries at the moment! Thought it was my bees until I looked closer.

Latest posts

Back