Plant Identification

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salamagundy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Thanks in advance to all of you who can tell me what this plant is. It's in wet woodland, stands 1.5m + high and is popular with the bees.

Can't see the leaves! But it looks like wild angelica (Angelica sylvestris).

Other bee favourites which look a bit like this and like damp places are valerian and hemlock water-dropwort. The latter is flowering alongside the canal in Stroud at the moment, and is covered with bees, even in the rain.

Can't see the leaves! But it looks like wild angelica (Angelica sylvestris).

Other bee favourites which look a bit like this and like damp places are valerian and hemlock water-dropwort. The latter is flowering alongside the canal in Stroud at the moment, and is covered with bees, even in the rain.

Many thanks GB! I've attached a pic of the flowers (probs with depth of field, I'm afraid....) which might help.

Yes, it looks like angelica. The leaves are rather like ash tree leaves, i.e. not as finely-divided as some umbellifers.

Thank you for the above info. I have a load of that growing in my field, thought it was Angelica but struggle bigtime with umbellifera id. Know cow parsley and hogweed and thats about it.

Latest posts

Back