Plant I.D with Pics.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ando

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Can anyone identify this plant and tell me what it is, I have 3 fields of it 250m from the hives, I stopped and had a quick look in the field this morning to see if there were bees on it, I did see a few flying around it and some bumbles.

DSC00452.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

Is it good for the bees and should I be ready with more supers? It has come in to flower middle of last week.

Cheers

Mark.

Dont think its borage, bit of a shame, sorry not much help here.

Jez

I think it might be Flax. A field of flax will give a beautiful blue from a distance. It is often grown en bloc in some area like rape is.

Floss

Hi,

It is a nice sea of blue when the suns out, but the flowers do close up when its not.

Cheers

Mark.

Hi Floss

You got it right:cheers2: just done a quick search and found this. click the link to see a good close up of the flower.

Cheers

Mark.

http://www.wildliferanger.com/users/www.wildliferanger.com/upload/Pale Flax 444.JPG
Pale Flax

Pale Flax meanwhile, is a totally versatile plant and has been used for centuries in the production of linen cloth. In fact, a cultivated variety of the plant was grown as a crop in many parts of the UK until ousted by mass-produced cotton in the 19th Century. It's still used to this day in the production of some high-grade writing paper and even cigarette papers!
I've read that the ancient Egyptians once wrapped mummies with the stems of the plant, while a useful food-oil (linseed) has been obtained for thousands of years by simply crushing the seeds. A purified form of linseed continues to be used today by artists worldwide and can still be found in many modern paints, varnishes and putty.

***Edit***

Just found this to, seems it may be good for the bees then!.

This delicate annual or biennial plant, a close relative of the flax long cultivated for fibre and linseed oil, has the palest of blue flowers - attractive to bees - at the end of narrow stems, which support alternating pairs of narrow, three-veined leaves.

The fruit is a round capsule which splits open to reveal 10 smaller seeds. Flax likes dry, coastal grassland conditions, making it especially suitable for a seaside garden.

Two flax flea beetles, Aphthona euphorbiae and Longitarsus parvulus may be found on the foliage.

Certainly linseed (Flax), unfortunatley i have never got a crop of honey from it, i don't think it produces a great deal of nectar as per Gavins post, I think most bee's will pass over working it in favour of more productive plants that reward them better.

C B

Latest posts

Back