Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

E&MBees 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Has anyone used plant grafting tape? If so, is there a particular make that is worth buying. I need to bind a very small branch of a young crab apple tree that was damaged in the recent storm.
Thanks, Emily

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ordinary electrical insulation tape will do the job - get the two parts together again as soon as possible. I would also wrap a string binding around on the outside of the tape and for an inch either side of the break to reinforce the repair.

E&MBees 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Ordinary electrical insulation tape will do the job - get the two parts together again as soon as possible. I would also wrap a string binding around on the outside of the tape and for an inch either side of the break to reinforce the repair.
Thanks. I’ve attached a splint currently, but it’s not holding as firmly as I would like. With more bad weather forecast on Saturday, it needs a better repair.

Bryang 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
4 national
I always used ordinary cellotape when i was doing a lot of grafting.. It would be a good idea to use some "splints" to secure the break. I often used knitting needles.

rolande 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Has anyone used plant grafting tape? If so, is there a particular make that is worth buying. I need to bind a very small branch of a young crab apple tree that was damaged in the recent storm.
Thanks, Emily
I'm inclined to think (without knowing the specifics) that you'd be better to cut the damaged branch out if possible.

However, if you think it's worth trying to repair please feel welcome to pm me a postal address and I'll send you a few meters of grafting tape. Free.

Frisbee 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I broke a small branch off a minature apple tree, I quickly secured it and held it with tape and a splint. A year later it and it was exactly the same so I chopped it off.

E&MBees 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I'm inclined to think (without knowing the specifics) that you'd be better to cut the damaged branch out if possible.

However, if you think it's worth trying to repair please feel welcome to pm me a postal address and I'll send you a few meters of grafting tape. Free.
Thank you, that is really kind. The Crab Apple was planted in memory of my Grandparents last year, and is very young. The branch still has a good sap flow to it as leaf and flower buds have opened. My parents are very keen to try and save it. I’ll pm you my address. Thank you again.

Latest posts