Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

nettle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Don't worry, you've not peed on anything 😂. I've just this spring started my own gardening business, and with all the start up costs of equipment I'm beyond penniless at the moment. So I can't afford large amounts of anything to mulch it with (unless I can find it for free). I might get some weed control membrane to cover one, or maybe two of the beds with, just to help suppress the weeds and grass until I can get round to them, and concentrate on a small section at a time. I'll be removing as much of the grass and roots as I can from the sections I'm working. It was all very compacted though, only been used for grazing in living memory, so digging it over is really hard work (and time consuming). I'll see if I can find James's posts ☺.

Skinfaxi 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Don't worry, you've not peed on anything 😂. I've just this spring started my own gardening business, and with all the start up costs of equipment I'm beyond penniless at the moment. So I can't afford large amounts of anything to mulch it with (unless I can find it for free). I might get some weed control membrane to cover one, or maybe two of the beds with, just to help suppress the weeds and grass until I can get round to them, and concentrate on a small section at a time. I'll be removing as much of the grass and roots as I can from the sections I'm working. It was all very compacted though, only been used for grazing in living memory, so digging it over is really hard work (and time consuming). I'll see if I can find James's posts ☺.
Cool. well done for starting up. I am a self employed horticulture businessman. Have you gone for electric or petrol tools.. see if you can get as many cardboard boxes as you can.then lay them on the soil then mulch. You can use leaves in october if you can enough. Look into the old tool the broodfork.
black berry lane forge made mine.
Or see if you can get some straw bales wet them well and then cover thick, then mypex or solid black plastic sheeting over it. Leave a few months.Or a cover crop like phacelia tencetifolium.
All the best

nettle 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Have you gone for electric or petrol tools.
Thanks 😊. Well part of the reason why I'm so penniless is that I stupidly jumped in and bought a 4 stroke Makita multi tool with brushcutter and pole hedge trimmer, going only on youtube videos and never having seen (or lifting) it first. Big mistake. An hour with the hedge trimmer and I couldn't lift my arms without shaking for days. I'm selling it, and have replaced it with a Stihl battery trimmer and strimmer. They're a dream to use in comparison, I'm kicking myself for not getting them first.

Anyway, here's the plot after yesterday's efforts. Peas, courgettes, a couple of squashes, beetroot and spinach have gone in.

20220605_173040.jpg

Moobee 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Several but expanding...
Hello nice job. I know you have many different ways to prep beds. I know you may want to do it your way. Even if you rotavate the soil the grass will grow back very soon. Especially perenial rye grass. Either cut the grass off or smother it with mulch. Pine sawdust or chips kill grass very quickly. Compost straw etc. Look at James on this forum beds and the meathod he and others use..he has added pictures.
Also get rid of the grass pathways as this will need constant management. Hope i have not peed on your batterie

Happy growing
:iagree:
also if you rotovate and there are any perennial weeds, you’ll just chop them up and spread them around (from experience!).
Cardboard with compost or manure on top is great to suppress weeds and you can plant straight through it.

Skinfaxi 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Thanks 😊. Well part of the reason why I'm so penniless is that I stupidly jumped in and bought a 4 stroke Makita multi tool with brushcutter and pole hedge trimmer, going only on youtube videos and never having seen (or lifting) it first. Big mistake. An hour with the hedge trimmer and I couldn't lift my arms without shaking for days. I'm selling it, and have replaced it with a Stihl battery trimmer and strimmer. They're a dream to use in comparison, I'm kicking myself for not getting them first.

Anyway, here's the plot after yesterday's efforts. Peas, courgettes, a couple of squashes, beetroot and spinach have gone in.

View attachment 32318
Yes who feels it knows it. With power tools only get stihl or husvarna. The vibrations will kill your hands and arms
.get some anti vibration gloves..
I am styaying with petrol for now as i cant buy all electric aswell. The batteries are hellish expensive compared to petrol. And then the storage and charging space increases expenses. They are nice and quiet.
The cost of batterie metals are just going higher. I would need 4 batterie packs for my intense jobs. Thats about £3000. Thats 1700L of petrol. But the lighter batterie hedge trimmer looks like a dream. I would like one of those.
The battery strimmers are also weaker than the 2 stroke.
Just waiting for carbone net 0 to destroy my world.
All the best.