Planer thicknesser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghornleghorn

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Anyone use one of these for getting timber ready?

Are they reasonably straight forward to get the hang of (in my school days the woodwork teacher was the only one allowed use it)?

And any recommendations, looking at the DeWalt model ATM. For langstroth boxes so need minimum cut of 10" wide

You can pick up planer thickness machines for good money second hand .
I personally think scheppach make some nice gear .
The old cast iron ones are the best but beware they can be a very dangerous machine.
You will also need a good chip extractor because the piles of sawdust don't be long building up .

I've been using a fox thicknesses for years with no issues whatsoever but the blades are expensive at around 25quid a pair and easily damaged.Wood needs to be clean,any bits of grit etc. from drying outdoors damage the knives and a dust extractor is needed

Last edited:
I have a record planner thicknesses, I have had it for around 25 years, excellent little (10") machine. How ever I stopped making hives as its far cheaper to buy them in the sales. I've made loads, but by the time you travel to collect your Cedar, dry it, plane, thickness and cut it to size, then assemble them all, its far cheaper to buy them. A half decent machine with a dust/chip extractor is around £1000. Think of the kit you could buy for that.

I have a de walt planer thicknesser for over 12 years. I use it to plane rough sawn WRC and other timber for making hives. It is a brilliant machine and I don't remember a time without it. Get your blade sharpening done at Axminster tools,cheapest around here and always have a spare set ready.

I have a Startrite Inca (Swiss made) from the late 1960's ...built like a proverbial Brick outhouse and with the precision of a swiss watch. Planes and thicknesses superbly ... but it's got nothing in the way of H & S considerations and it sounds like a 747 Jumbo when it gets going... love it .. would recommend one to anyone with a desire to lose body parts and with nerves of steel.

Latest posts

Back