Plan to remove a nadired super tomorrow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Weather forecast to be about 13 degrees tomorrow afternoon and so I thought it’s a good time to do it. Another new manoeuvre which should just be a simple case of lifting off brood box, taking off super, putting brood box back and shaking in any bees from super. What can go wrong? If there’s any brood in the super should I just put it over the brood box with a QE in between? Good opportunity to get a feel for the weight of the brood box as well to double check if feeding is needed. As usual I’m getting worried about screwing something up.

Mine stay where they are until I inspect, there's no real rush. Definitely no to splitting brood with an excluder though, if you find brood down there just re assemble.

Slide hive to the side. Spare floor in its place lift brood off and place on new floor. Put top on.
check super. If there’s brood reverse process
I agree with Steve though. Plenty of time to do it yet
I agree ... if there's brood below put it back as it was quickly ... I would leave the super on the floor - pull a frame out of the centre of the super as that's where the brood will be .. any sign put it back in and move the brood box back.

Personally, I'd leave it for a month or so ... if there isn't a real need to disturb them at this time of year where is the necessity ...February can be one of the coldest months down here - they will be nicely sealed up for winter and one warm day doesn't make it Spring. Let them be - go read a bee book instead.

I’ll contain my excitement / impatience and leave them be for the time being then. Will content myself with watching them swirling in the sky above me tomorrow.

As Pargyle really, it is a wee bit early spring doesn't even start until 20 March this year. I'd be happy with a day or two at 10 degrees. 🌧☔🌬

Latest posts

Back