Plain Clothed Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeaddiplomat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
Just done an inspection of our two hives. Both colonies from last year - both last year had marked (green) Queens, that were laying well.

Both colonies are hyper - have just put a second super on one! Both Queens are laying prolifically, and both hives seem very happy.

But... for the first time this year, and after several previous attempts, we finally found the queens. And neither appears to be marked. I can think of only two explanations. Either they have lost their markings, or both were superceded over the winter without our noticing. The latter seems a bit unlikely since they were last year's queens and laying so well.

Any ideas????:confused:

idiotic idea but here go's

Oxalic acid syrup on Queen at new year cleaned off by bees
removing paint at same time???

i have queens who have lost their markings as its been rubbed off.
Are your queens clipped?? if so this would tell you if they have been superceded.

i have queens who have lost their markings as its been rubbed off.
Are your queens clipped?? if so this would tell you if they have been superceded.

No they're not clipped.

I suppose the important thing is that they are there. Doesn't really matter whether they are the originals or not. Next time I see them, though, I'll mark them (I don't suppose it matters if I mark them with this year's colour, since they will only be for my use anyway, and since they will both be blue, I at least will not be confused).

Like Plumber's idea of the colour being removed after OA treatment - is this a common occurence?

If, by a wide margin, you mean early September - could have superceded; if you mean late November - unlikely.

RAB

Latest posts

Back