Placing the bee hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenw

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello

I was wondering if somebodya could help me by looking at the photograph in the link and advising me where to place the bee hive that I recently got.

http://s914.photobucket.com/albums/ac34 ... 9569463948

Hopefully you can see in the picture it slopes down the garden and also you will be able to flick through other pictures of the garden.

Thanks

Stephen

I think that you may have to post the picture here for us to be able to see it.

Your link took me to the Photobucket.com login page.

Try using the paperclip icon next to the smiley face and the bottom dialogue panel.

The top dialogue panel will allow you to post directly from a copy of the picture on your own computer.

Hello

I was wondering if somebodya could help me by looking at the photograph in the link and advising me where to place the bee hive that I recently got.

http://s914.photobucket.com/albums/ac34 ... 9569463948

Hopefully you can see in the picture it slopes down the garden and also you will be able to flick through other pictures of the garden.

Thanks

Stephen

do you have to type that number in ?

All the beek. books say .....
a sunny but sheltered site facing south
with a fence or hedge a few yards away to make the bees fly up
and not near public access

But then don't believe anything you read on forums !!!!

Sorry folks

Garden

Hope this works

No it doesn't

Sorry it does if opened in new tab

I would place it near the bottom left hand corner of the garden (as you look at the pic).
It is then as far from the house as you can go, faces south/south east to get the morning and most of the day's sun and as they exit the foragers will fly out over the field.

I would put them down the bottom of the garden.

Six foot from the hedge on the right and in a line facing into the far fence, four or five foot from the fence. To get the best of the sun all day without shadows. If you turned one around near the right hand end, it would be easier to observe activity at the entrance.

Nice sized garden.

Thanks.

Its my grandparents garden and I just love it because there is so much room.

Stephen

If you are only planning on a couple or three hives I would space them out on the LHS at the bottom of the garden between the boundary and the fruit trees, facing South. If more than 2 or 3 then I agree with Hombre.

The garden is on a slight slope would there be a frost pocket at the bottom? So if I place it at the bottom right about 5 foot from the hedge and fence? Would I not need to face entance to south?

Steve

From the picture t looks like it could be a frost pocket ( fence at bottom of slope). South facing is recommended, but it is whatever suits you.

I cannot face mine south as a path ( which only myself and 2 others use) runs by the side of the hives but on the south side, so mine actually face North towrds a fence which gets them up over a public footpath - most seem to come out and fly straight off south as that is where the concentrated forage is .

I don't think you'd get a frost pocket there at all. Frost 'pockets' usually occur either in hollows in the winter that are shaded by trees or on north facing slopes.

I would put them on the LHS far corner, in a small arc, facing the RH hedge. This way they benefit fomr the sun on the entrance blocks and have a nice fly in to the colonies. If animals/people were an issue I'd plant a few apple trees in front to drive the bees upwards, but this might be a nice idea anyway.

The situation looks similar to that of my old beekeeping mentor's garden. He interplanted between each hive a small apple tree and then a low beech hedge far enough away to drive the bees upwards but not that near (or high) to shade the landing boards of his WBCs !

Good luck !

S

is there any sort of path the other side of the fence at the bottom of your garden? if not I would be inclined to agree with somerford.

Hi

No path just a field on the other side. If I faced it south that would be facing up the garden. And then on left hand side.

Steve

Steve, I'd be inclined just to point the hive entrance out into the field, about a metre or so back from the fence - by pointing the hive entrance into the field, hopefully the colony's flight path will be mainly out over the field and not back up the garden past your grandparent's door.

ThankS
Teemore im sure they wouldnt apprciate being greeted by the bees.:nature-smiley-016:.

Steve

I would place, bottom left hand side of the garden... facing south.

Latest posts

Back