Placing fondant in trays

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi just a question im planning to place some fondant in trays over hole in crown board xmass time or later . Do i place cling filmover fondant or lid and how biger hole do i make in top so the bees can feed ??

Don't worry to much about plastic trays,just stick the fondant straight on top the crown board,over the feed hole.

I keep the fondant in its plastic wrapping, this means that the fondant lasts longer in the hive if the bees are not taking it down quickly. I cut a small slit in the wrapping so that the bees can get to the fondant.

Ben P

Suggest you make an eke about 2" high and put the fondant on a shallow tray on top of the frames under the crownboard. I use ice cream carton lids with a narrow slot in the middle for the bees to crawl up through. If the bees are not desperate for fondant, making an eke out of 2" x 1" would not take more than an hour. Doesn't have to be perfect - bees don't care. Later you will have an eke handy for other purposes of which there are bound to be a few and, if needs be, you can tart it up later.

I am with ben,I run bottom bee space and dont like to leave a large gap over winter between the top of the frames and the crownboard.

I see it as a big area to keep warm above the cluster over winter.

If its a smaller cluster the gap could make all the difference between spring bees and a frozen cluster of dead bees.

I agree make an eke ,place your fondant rolled flat in a plastic bag with hole(s) cut in it. Put it directly above the bees, this does three thing keeps a bubble heat below for the bees, softens the fondant and avoids the possibilty of isolation starvation. Later on towards spring if it is a strong stock on subsequent fondant they will probably build comb in the eke or the fondant bag.

Latest posts

Back