Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

TOBY-3652 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi just a question im planning to place some fondant in trays over hole in crown board xmass time or later . Do i place cling filmover fondant or lid and how biger hole do i make in top so the bees can feed ??

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Don't worry to much about plastic trays,just stick the fondant straight on top the crown board,over the feed hole.

Vergilius 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I keep the fondant in its plastic wrapping, this means that the fondant lasts longer in the hive if the bees are not taking it down quickly. I cut a small slit in the wrapping so that the bees can get to the fondant.

Ben P

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
Suggest you make an eke about 2" high and put the fondant on a shallow tray on top of the frames under the crownboard. I use ice cream carton lids with a narrow slot in the middle for the bees to crawl up through. If the bees are not desperate for fondant, making an eke out of 2" x 1" would not take more than an hour. Doesn't have to be perfect - bees don't care. Later you will have an eke handy for other purposes of which there are bound to be a few and, if needs be, you can tart it up later.

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I am with ben,I run bottom bee space and dont like to leave a large gap over winter between the top of the frames and the crownboard.

I see it as a big area to keep warm above the cluster over winter.

If its a smaller cluster the gap could make all the difference between spring bees and a frozen cluster of dead bees.

iand 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I agree make an eke ,place your fondant rolled flat in a plastic bag with hole(s) cut in it. Put it directly above the bees, this does three thing keeps a bubble heat below for the bees, softens the fondant and avoids the possibilty of isolation starvation. Later on towards spring if it is a strong stock on subsequent fondant they will probably build comb in the eke or the fondant bag.