place your bets.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff..

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I removed one of my queens yesterday to replace her with what will hopefully turn out to be calmer stock, I wanted to put her into a cage so that I could take her away and practice wing clipping, but....

I dropped her and she landed up in the grass about 15-20 meters away from the hive :toetap05:

so the question is....... will she make it home?

one way of knowing if she has made it home would be checking for eggs, but this wont be 100% because she hasn't layed for the last week due to Apiguard being on so she may well still be off lay IF she is home, but on the other hand if she is home and laying I'll know straight away :svengo:

If she made her mating flight out of that location and hive then probably yes she will.

If she didn't then nope.

PH

I agree with PH, I had a queen fly off during after being attacked (dont ask), but she made it back only to be slaughtered - this was her mating hive location.

If she made her mating flight out of that location and hive then probably yes she will.

If she didn't then nope.

PH

she did mate from this hive, I guess I'm going to have to spend a fair bit of time hunting again.

Put a test frame in,if you cannot find her.

On sunday I gived an inseminated queen into hive and put it walk onto comb.
It rised on its wings and never came back. It was meant for breeding.

the plot thickens..

I've just been over to look for her, the formerly agressive colony is now full of pussycats, walking around as calm as you like.

hidden on one of the frames is an empty supercedure cell, this'll explain how she was in the super when I found her initially, she was nice and long but not very fat. I have been thinking she is possibly still to do her mating flights but doubt that because she flew like a helicopter with no engines - straight down with a controlled landing :svengo:

test frame has gone in this afternoon, we'll see in a couple of days if they are Q- or not

i done this aswell, i took a queen out to clip and mark her, the little cow took to the air and i were following her around my orchard trying to get her, once i lost sight i said a few choice words and left it, two days later she was in her home and i got her c and m. She was from a swarm already mated.

Latest posts

Back