pictures of your hives in the snow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
here are a few pictures of my hives in the snow, taken this afternoon.Snow is still falling. keith
Location--- Castleknock-- Outskirts of Dublin city .

Eric,
I like the windbreak where did you get the fencing from?

Ian

This is mine. Pic taken this morning. Stuck my ear against it and had a listen to the activity inside- all seems well... May give a feed of fondant around Christmas if this weather continues...

View attachment 2722

Ben P

PS Sorry about the giant pic...

Ian,
Willow hurdles from Ebay.
Bit of Luck they may start to grow.
Mate of mine this Summer drove some 6" diameter posts in his field soaked in a mixture of creosote and sump oil, you've guessed it, at least 50% threw side shoots. Looked impossible, you could smell the creosote 100 yards away .
Didn't last as he rubbed them all off when he spotted them !

John Wilkinson

whats the timber for in front of the hive.is it to stop the glare off the snow from entering the hive.

whats the timber for in front of the hive.is it to stop the glare off the snow from entering the hive.

Keith,
You have it in one, I've just pinned some corrugated card from the landing board to the first super. It's soggy but works for now.

Ian

here are a few pictures of my hives in the snow, taken this afternoon.Snow is still falling. keith
Location--- Castleknock-- Outskirts of Dublin city .

I now have apiary envy- it's beautiful! :drool5:

Hives this morning with snow heaped over entrances to stop girls flying with OMFs of course. My nice Thomas Bickerdike Nuc far right.

Don't know Richard.....but for a satelite picture it's quite good.

Here's one of mine from this morning. A quick question: Does snow insulate in these conditions or refrigerate (ie, should I take the snow off or leave?)?

They have OMF's so I guess ventilation isn't a problem. Just wondered.

You are in the hills and lost in the snow the weather is getting worse so you do as you are trained to do, to survive.

You dig a snow hole.

I doubt you know this, that OMF are very recent, say 10 years old, but my advice is very old. Meaning applicable to solid floors.

Does that answer your question?

PH

Steve

My (limited) understanding that board over entrance or snow blocking entrance is the way to go in snowy conditions to stop girls flying to their death from cold as long as they are on OMF with entrance blocked. Interested by your photograph as to why you have a QE below brood box above a super?

...I'll try again, apologies for my ineptitude but I've only just discovered the digital camera

HPIM0448.jpg

Latest posts

Back