Picking your own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought this thread was about Scrumping 😂

They're looking very nice. This year I've been leaving mine in the plot and just taking the lower sprouts off stalks until I have as many as I want in the hope that the less developed ones nearer the top will fatten up. I'm not sure it's working, but that might be down to the caterpillar damage to the plants at the tail end of the summer.

James

Just picked some from our allotment. It's been a good year for them and they're standing well - hopefully will last another few weeks. I usually find the sprouts at the top fatten up after the lower ones have been picked.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Just picked some from our allotment. It's been a good year for them and they're standing well - hopefully will last another few weeks. I usually find the sprouts at the top fatten up after the lower ones have been picked.
Do you have a Peroni tree too?

Nothing like a cold sprout sandwich with plenty of white pepper on boxing day, with maybe a side order of mushy peas and my home made stuffing (SWMBO is very partial to a good stuffing)

I've no idea what it was like further east in Somerset, but here on the edge of Exmoor it was quite dull in the late Summer and early Autumn. I believe the caterpillars were the main culprit, but I have wondered if the reduced light levels slowed down the development of sprouts and winter cabbages as well. I've had a few sprouts that have started to open up near the bottoms of the stalks, but otherwise they're all still very tight.

James

I've no idea what it was like further east in Somerset, but here on the edge of Exmoor it was quite dull in the late Summer and early Autumn. I believe the caterpillars were the main culprit, but I have wondered if the reduced light levels slowed down the development of sprouts and winter cabbages as well. I've had a few sprouts that have started to open up near the bottoms of the stalks, but otherwise they're all still very tight.

James
I just don't know where the sun has been. I have 32 PV panels which have hardly produced anything this winter compared to other winters!

I just don't know where the sun has been. I have 32 PV panels which have hardly produced anything this winter compared to other winters!
My roof array has hardly generated anything in the quarter just gone. Just the odd day when the sun decided to make an appearance for an hour or two. The rest of the time the skies were dull and grey December and January averaged one unit per day.

Nothing like a cold sprout sandwich with plenty of white pepper on boxing day, with maybe a side order of mushy peas and my home made stuffing (SWMBO is very partial to a good stuffing)
:sick::puke:

No, it's from a well in the garden.
;)
I have a well too. I wouldn't be without it as we are on water meters. I installed a well pump and I can use all the water I want to water the garden. At least 4 meters of water down there and running it for an hour uses about 0.5 metres!

Me too, but limited to about 20 mins - vigorous flow through canvas tubing

Attachments

• IMG_0807.jpeg
    IMG_0807.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
We have one as well (ho ho). Gets used quite a bit for watering the garden.

well-02.jpg

well-01.jpg

James

Latest posts

Back