Picked up a swarm today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Had a call from a chap today said he had bees in his garden so I asked the usual questions. He then said they had been there for nearly 2 days now, and they were definately honey bees. Paid him a visit and picked up a small caste swarm. Must have only been about 2/3 frames of bees.They were very calm as well. Good job I got them into a nuc box as about an hour later there was an almighty downpour. They have now gone to their new home at a fellow beekeepers house. I am up to where I want to be for now so will continue to collect and pass to friends.

Bare with me will post when I figure out how to get them off my phone lol

Veg

With all the recent problems with foul brood near by are you keeping the swarms you've collected separate from your other hives?

Plus those your giving away to friends?

Chances of transfer may be low but just a thought !

All in hand. The infected colonies were killed off. This was probably from the same site as it was near, but I did inform the new owner of the bees before he said he wanted them. They didnt go to my apiary site.

Short video of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpmN4ts728

Last edited:
Name that hedge please....we have dug one up, but still have loads and I've always thought it dull. But one left "au naturel" a couple of weeks back was covered in our honey bees and had flowered.

Is it box?
4687168765_720b85a6df_o.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Lonicera nitida or pileata.

definately Lonicera (a member of the honeysuckle family)

Latest posts

Back