Photograph recognition.................

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poggle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just been given more "expert" information in regards to training ones bees to recognise one.......Basically, you put a piccy of your face on the inside of the roof of the hive and the bees get to recognise you.........Now, this snippet comes from a non bee keeper who is an expert in everything coz he has worked at it before in a different life type thing up the New Forest at Rhinefield House...............He also reckons that, when he looked in the hive roof when he was helping this beek turn his hives he noticed that the beek had written " My name is Alan and I wont harm you so please try not to harm me".................Now, call me thick if you will fellow bee persons but, I have a few questions about this method like...........Do bees see in the dark?

I would call that the placebo effect. If the beekeeper thinks it works then I am sure they will find it does. Beekeeping is full of such ideas.

Harmelss enough, so I would just humour him by putting his picture under the roof of your hives and you can then say that if he joins you on an inspection he won't need to wear a veil as the bees will know what a nice chap he is.

Harmelss enough, so I would just humour him by putting his picture under the roof of your hives and you can then say that if he joins you on an inspection he won't need to wear a veil as the bees will know what a nice chap he is.

Nah, it would scare my girls too much..........I just have this image of Lizzy going up to look at the image with a wee torch and shouting " Oi BERYL!!! is this the git that open the roof last night and let the heat out?".......

Will they recognise the photo if the beek hasn't got a veil on?

Will they recognise the photo if the beek hasn't got a veil on?

Seems that in the pic of the beek he had no veil on.........I really must save these expert words of wisdom up and write a book.................."The Muppets Guide To Bee Keeping"............

Basically, you put a piccy of your face on the inside of the roof of the hive and the bees get to recognise you.........

Nope, that'd never work. You'd have to put it on the underneath of the crown board, obviously.

I tried that with my beekeeping cert. so that they'd know that I know what I'm doing but it didn't work - problem there though was that the cert's in English and they're Irish bees so should have been in Irish.:rolleyes:

thoughts run to a full size cardboard cut-out near the hive/s

I have just been given more "expert" information in regards to training ones bees to recognise one.......Basically, you put a piccy of your face on the inside of the roof of the hive and the bees get to recognise you.........Now, this snippet comes from a non bee keeper who is an expert in everything coz he has worked at it before in a different life type thing up the New Forest at Rhinefield House...............He also reckons that, when he looked in the hive roof when he was helping this beek turn his hives he noticed that the beek had written " My name is Alan and I wont harm you so please try not to harm me".................Now, call me thick if you will fellow bee persons but, I have a few questions about this method like...........Do bees see in the dark?

there is an pinch of truth mixed in the nonsense. You can train bees to recognise human faces but not that way

google this
Honeybee (Apis mellifera) vision can discriminate between and recognise images of human faces
Adrian G. Dyer Christa Neumeyer and Lars Chittka
journal of experimental biolgy.

wonder if i can train my ones to recognize whether the mail man has bills or letters.

come election time i would like them to sting every visitor.

Ohh the possibilitys

I thought their eye sight was pretty poor beyond a few feet, but their sense of smell is excellent. My wife suggested I should put one of my used socks on the crown board to treat varroa. I'm confident it would be highly effective but only because the colony would abscond taking the varroa with them.

:svengo:

I thought their eye sight was pretty poor beyond a few feet, but their sense of smell is excellent. My wife suggested I should put one of my used socks on the crown board to treat varroa. I'm confident it would be highly effective but only because the colony would abscond taking the varroa with them.

:svengo:

You could always shut the bees in and see what the varroa drop is :D

Latest posts

Back