petrol to drive swarm from roof??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try soaking smoker fuel with a small amount of Jay's fluid, let it dry over night(so that it will light) then see if they can be smoked out.

An old beek told me this trick, he sez it works a treat :sifone:

I know someone who tried that a few weeks ago I told them I didn't think it would work and sure enough one dead frame of brood

You need to make a funnel up that the bees can come out of and not back into. They then gather around the end where you have placed the bait hive entrance.

Worked for me.

This may be a silly question but why did nobody seal up the old hole after the first colony was destroyed?

Old roof and many holes. not possible to fill all holes and to be honest there was nothing there worth worrying about from the robbing point of view.

The swarm on the other side of the building last year was possible to seal up and although there was also little there it was sealed as best as possible.

You could try spraying some Fischers 'Bee Quick' in, or better still Fabi-spray. I've used it get rid of a swarm from a cavity wall that had been in for a day or two. They smell a bit of almonds but aren't offensive particularly.

Paynes sell them both I think.

Adam

Adam tell me more??? what is it how do you apply it etc.

just a quicky. dont forget petrol vapours (which the bees smell) are heavier than air and flow down and out.
I personaly wouldn't use petrol, people under estimate how dangerous it is. (I work with it).

You could try spraying some Fischers 'Bee Quick' in, or better still Fabi-spray. I've used it get rid of a swarm from a cavity wall that had been in for a day or two. They smell a bit of almonds but aren't offensive particularly.

Paynes sell them both I think.

Adam
very interesting i wont be ale to get any fast enough this time but i will keep this in mind for again.

just a quicky. dont forget petrol vapours (which the bees smell) are heavier than air and flow down and out.
I personaly wouldn't use petrol, people under estimate how dangerous it is. (I work with it).
this is very true to be honest we were relying on this fact both to control where the vapour went and to clear it later on(removed light fitting). the acess i had was were a ridgeboard contacted the ridgeboard in the cavity with the bees in. we positioned the petrol so its vapour would/should flow over the saucer and into the cavity. in any event it is done and seems to have worked weather it was the slight fumes or the distrubance we made they left sometime yesterday evening as far as we can figure out.(ignored my bait to boot.)
no mass of dead bees promise.

Try soaking smoker fuel with a small amount of Jay's fluid, let it dry over night(so that it will light) then see if they can be smoked out.

An old beek told me this trick, he sez it works a treat :sifone:
thanks ill try this sometime(small sample after net search) i imagine the fumes will be unpleasant and possibly dangerous to the bees(jays kills stuff)

There is another alternative ...using a bee vac.

We did this about 10th days ago and although it was hard to get into the colony when we couldn't see them we got there in the end. Got the majority of the girls and the queen. The rest followed and it was game over.

Something like this could well work for you too. I now consider a bee vac as THE essential tool for swarm removal.

All the best,
Sam

a good old bee keeper tells me that a cloth soaked in jays fluid drives them from there home he has used this method for years

Back