Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Always been "into" the greener end of life, many moons ago had a free range egg farm, and have maintained my interest in "self sufficiency", renewable energy etc. Following an illness some 18 months ago, I found myself retired early, with a lot of time and a large garden on my hands....... I was very aware of the bee problems, so decided that it would be a good move to try and do my bit by keeping some myself, which led me to a meeting of my local beekeeping association last year....... which led to a visit to the BBKA forum, where I dared to ask questions I was forcibly told I wasn't allowed to ask.........
The rest as they say is history...... the utterly appalling attitude of the "chemical brigade" confirmed my choice of the "dark side" as being the way to go - Kenyan top bar hive and a Warre for me......
I probably have a different attitude to many - some honey would be a nice by-product, but as long as I can keep a couple of healthy hives of bees going with little or no use of chemicals I'll consider I've succeeded by my own criteria
So far my entire setup (hives, bees, suit, smoker etc) has cost around £100 as I was determined to do it on a "pocket money" budget

jon 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40-50
which led to a visit to the BBKA forum, where I dared to ask questions I was forcibly told I wasn't allowed to ask
Brosville.
Show a bit of maturity and try and stay on topic.
The above statement is not true. All your posts are still there and noone ever told you there were questions you were not allowed to ask.
You were banned from the BBKA forum for being abusive to other posters.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Now there's a "catch 22" situation if ever I saw one - I could go into the several deleted posts, and the fact that the reason I was ejected brought a shower of supportive messages because I'd voiced what many didn't dare..... but I won't - because that would be going off-topic.
I think it was entirely relevant, and explained some of the reasons behind the choices I made.......

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Sorry Jon but I have to side with Brosville on this one.

Being abusive was used many times as the reason for banning posters on the BBKA forum.

It was an easy way of banning members who asked to many questions regards the pesticide sponsorship money.

If you read a few of the threads you will see that both posters were often equally abusive to each other yet a certain group of members always took the side of the member who supported the pesticide issue.

You need to sit down and think hard about who you can trust in beekeeping circles as many ex mods of the BBKA forum have done before jumping ship and joining us over here.

There appears to be 3 types of member on the BBKA forum,the general member who makes up the majority of membership,the wannabe mod who thinks they are clever sticking up for the BBKA whilst being used to fight their corner before being dumped on(We have many such members) and then you have the admins and exec who sit back filling in the expenses sheets while dodging questions,they know if they keep quite then some members will jump in to defend them(Its called letting others do your dirty work for you).

Wy do you think this forum is so succesfull ?
Tis a dangerous game you are playing if you wish to come out of this with any respect left after defending the BBKA.
Come back in 12 months and make me eat my words,although I dont think I will have to.

Nellie 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
F' sake, being on the ignore list isn't enough

I give up. I've got no axe to grind with the BBKA and I thought I'd done enough putting brosville on my ignore list because he's clearly incapable of answering the question "Do you want a cup of tea" without ranting "the BBKA are all bastards!".

I'm done here for a while

jon 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40-50
Admin:
I congratulate you on running a successful forum but I can't agree with your previous post.
I think the BBKA stance on pesticide sponsorship is crazy and I have posted that over and over again on the BBKA board and no-one has ever pulled me for it.
The difference between Brosville and myself is that I tend to avoid personal insults even if I think another poster is a complete prat. I try and keep that kind of thought to myself.
Calling a poster from the US "a colonial" is a race based and deeply offensive remark and that was the final straw with Brosville on the BBKA board.
I don't know where you got the concept of wannabe mod from. Most sensible people would not touch that offer with a bargepole because of the grief that goes with it.

There are a considerable number of posters on the BBKA board whose opinions on beekeeping I value a lot and this tit for tat rivalry contributes nothing.

Last edited:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Well yes, I did refer to him as a colonial, which was, in my humble opinion incredibly mild in comparison to his referring to "mouth breathing, knuckle-dragging environmentalists", referring in a highly derogatory manner to the UK having been "dependant on the US" during WW2, and last but not least, sunk to quoting the Bible in what I consider an intemperate outburst - I responded with a great deal of sarcasm, and biblical quotes.......:)
Nothing would make me happier than never having to refer to, or acknowledge the existence of a certain discredited, and now minority organisation, but if someone asks about the hows and whys of how we entered beekeeping, I think it entirely apposite to mention all factors influencing one's choices.........

and at the risk of semantic pedantry, I thoroughly resent the "racism" slur - it had nothing whatsoever to do with "race" - and everything to do with an arrogant person from America who had been incredibly rude about the UK on several occasions - "colonial" hinted in a slightly derogatory way to the status of his country, not the race of those within it....... Australians used to be "colonials" and none the worse for it - we are known by them as "whingeing poms", I certainly don't leap up and down screaming "racism" if referred to in such a manner..... if anything I would say "colonial" is more a term of gently chiding affection.............

Last edited:

Latest posts