Quantcast

PESTICIDE results now proved as the killer?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

gavin 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
Jeeezo! No-one has ever said that these insecticides do not kill bees. No-one.

What you have here is a demonstration that the pesticide-laden fluid given off by maize seedling leaves can kill bees. So what?!! Do your bees gather the early morning dew from very young maize seedlings? What matters is the levels in pollen from fully grown plants, which they do gather from maize sometimes. Or in oilseed rape nectar and pollen. Or sunflower.

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
So if the Bayer insecticide's kills bee's why do the BBKA take vast sums of money in sponsorship from Bayer ?

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Its a little bit more than the £17,500 a year they claim it is ;)

But yes Jim if you ask them on the BBKA forum they will tell you they get something between a battered sausage and a fish supper.

Although another forum have said its about 30 pieces of silver however that much is ?

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
for those who actually keep up with the newest research coming out of Penn State, it would appear that the "cocktail effect" means that common herbicides can and do interreact with insecticides to make them far more powerful , meaning that those who bleat about the levels being too low to do damage are actually talking out of their............:svengo:

admin 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Brosville I am sure that Gavin will be back later to fight the Bayer corner by telling us just how safe these chemicals really are if punched into the ground with the right equipment and used as instructed on the box.

Loads of chemical company products are safe if used in the right way,take for an example Asbestos and Bayers very own Zyklon B,both pefectly safe if used as intended.

You need to understand that half the goverments of Europe who have banned Neonics are fools,just think how much Bayer could of paid them for endorsments! we all no that politicians and high ranking commitee members like to take the odd battered sausage after all.

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
Zyklon Bee? - according to Penn State, that'll be Fluvalinate then........
(Apistan):svengo:

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
This is what i would like to know.
So what happens to these poisons when it rains,do they not get washed off and run into waterways,tractor ruts ect,where bee's do drink from, and could this not be more diluted to enable bee's to take it back to the hives,and what about other insects that may drink from the leaves of these crops,don't they count as anything. If hive were situated near to a field of crops with this insecticide on the leaves,would they know to fly further to say a tractor rut to get water,even though it may be much further.
I can imagine there ar many species of insect,say for instance,ladybirds,how about grass hoppers, i don't believe these would go round the outside of a field or avoid these area's covered in poison,or would they? is there any research that suggests insects avoid these fields,at certain times. And what about other creatures,say pigions,they may not die,but people eat them,and if they have gorged on these shoots are they safe to eat?is this poison safe to eat?

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
At least the users of Zyklon-B understood the dangers. Agent Orange was presented as being supposedly very safe and only affecting foliage. This was the reason why gung ho believers (GIs) demonstrated to their comrades etc how it could be safely drunk without any ill effects. Well, not for a few years anyhow. History relates how AO in Vietnam claimed many victims on both sides.

Hombre

gavin 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
Brosville I am sure that Gavin will be back later to fight the Bayer corner by telling us just how safe these chemicals really are if punched into the ground with the right equipment and used as instructed on the box.

Loads of chemical company products are safe if used in the right way,take for an example Asbestos and Bayers very own Zyklon B,both pefectly safe if used as intended.

You need to understand that half the goverments of Europe who have banned Neonics are fools,just think how much Bayer could of paid them for endorsments! we all no that politicians and high ranking commitee members like to take the odd battered sausage after all.
Yeah, right! Whatever ....

Obviously they are dangerous if misused. Equally obviously, there are some people who would like to be able to blame pesticides for anything that goes wrong. Go down that route and you will never properly learn what it was that did go wrong with your winter loss, for example.

G

mikethebee 

Banned
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
The problem is staring us in the face?
THE sooner we stop vast sums of money going freely to these development know it alls the better, They are killing our bees,
Maybe the recession will put um all on the dole. Including the BBKA, or thay could try sucking a leaf or three.
ALL THE BEST MIKE

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
sorry mikethebee but with this one I am with Gavin regarding the problems we are facing as beekeepers.

As Gavin mentioned the scientists must take a wider and more open approach to these insurmountable (at the moment) problems.
In the USA the top people have been studying the CCD phenomenon since 05-06 and still have no concrete evidence as to the demise of colonies, and have not been 'tunnelled vision' in their approach.

This has got to happen with this review of the state of beekeeping in the UK.

On another subject I am half way through my initial reading of the BBKA publication, Honey Bee Research Concepts, and the first thing I noted was its jumped from ?8 million over 5 years to ?8 million +.

Regards;

Latest posts