pest controller....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
I was contacted today by a women who was told by a pest controller she had honey bees in a dog kennel and that he wouldn't deal with them and to get a beekeeper,
anyway i drove the 25miles till her house to fine that they where bumble bees, that had made there nest in the middle of a fur rug on the floor of the kennel.

talk about being pissed off! would it be worth finding out who the pest control company was to tell them to send there men on a simple course??

Darren

Hi BLD
That is annoying.... send them this!
bumble-bee-honey-bee-wasp.png

Maybe they see it as being easier to tell people to find a beekeeper than to train their staff in identification and life cycles of bees?

To be fair though, there is no financial incentive for them to train their staff in public education concerning bees.

M

This year I have been contacted by members of the public about bees.

The initial call was to a pest company or local council. The caller has been told... "We don't deal with bees. They are protected. Contact a beekeeper via the BBKA. "

Tree bumble calls in May were overwhelming.

perhaps she had phoned them and gave a description over the phone, it's amazing how many people will convince you on the phone that they are honey bees, if they think you will remove them, I have been to many that assured me they were honey bees, only to find bumbles yet again, phone the company if you really need to make a complaint, but remember, anyone can make a mistake, just look at your grammar in your post

People tell me anything just to get me to go and have a look in the hope that one im there I will sort out their problem for them. A woman told me she had honey bees knowing full well they where bumblebees when I got there she admitted they had alrady been identified by some one else who had refused to move them for her.

I work together with a local pest controller, he refers any swarms to me and I refer people wanting bumblebees moved to him!**

Any referalls he makes he states there is a £25 callout charge and £45 for removal (his normal fees). This at leasts stops the time wasters.

On the other hand I count count the number of calls I have had from people that have been told by councils / pest control companies that bees ARE protected and they NEED to contact a local beekeeper!

**He is one of the very few that I know who will gently move bumblebee nests. He has experience and places to rehouse them.**

Last edited:
This year I have been contacted by members of the public about bees.

The initial call was to a pest company or local council. The caller has been told... "We don't deal with bees. They are protected. Contact a beekeeper via the BBKA. "

Tree bumble calls in May were overwhelming.
Would be local council.. there b---ers telling people there protected.. when there not.. I wish they would tell the public that it is not there policy to destroy them so get someone that will either take them away or destroy... I get calls . people say we have rang the council and they say there protected... er no there not

It wasn't a total waste of a run, i lifted the rug with nest and all, and the rug and nest are inside one of my hives at home here now,
be nice to see how they get on.
Darren

I was contacted today by a women who was told by a pest controller she had honey bees in a dog kennel , , , ,would it be worth finding out who the pest control company was to tell them to send there men on a simple course??

Darren

Same "pest controller" would probably identify honey bees as wasps and poison them!
:hairpull::hairpull:

I charge £20 for ALL callouts..

Sorts out the idiots.

Just to add: I charge £20 as a "call-out" to identify the species & tell them whats going on & whats likely to happen.
If it does turn out to be an easily accessable swarm, I'll take it & no charge.
This year there's been so many Bumbles about it's been un-real! Generally I've found if you explain whats going on people are happy :)
I've had 6 swarms, loads of "educational visits" (with 2 x tips of £5 and a £20!) :) and only 1 person I lost my rag with 'cause they wanted anything that wasn't paying rent killed!

Latest posts

Back