Persistent charged queen cups after merging colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi
I merged two colonies 4 weeks ago. Since the merge the colony has been expanding nicely but producing queen cups, with eggs and royal jelly, in the centre of one or two of the frames every week. I read up about it and some books advise that these are probably supercedure cells as the bees think the queen is weak - and i should knock the cells back and the hive will settle down. I have been doing this but it has been a month now and they are still doing it. How long would it normally take to 'settle down' in the hive?
There are eggs, larvae, brood and plenty of room in the hive so i know she's in there doing her thing but I cannot for the life of me spot the queen.

I have considered removing the queen and letting one of the charged cups continue to develop - but i cant find the queen.
I have also considered just leaving one cell to develop and letting them fight it out - but there may be risks. They could swarm even though they look like supercedure cells.

Any views or options for this situation would be welcome. I could just continue knocking back and keep fingers crossed they'll settle - but for how long?

Thaks

I feel the same as JBM. I would reduce to one cell, watch that they don't make more and leave them to it. If supersedure they have a reason to want to replace, but yes, even so they could still swarm.

As above. I think you can be assured the bees are trying to talk to you!!!!

So you'd advise leaving them to it then? Knock back to one or let them fight it out?

I think that's the answer, then. The weaker colony is trying to supersede
I would say the stronger half that lost its queen are more likely the instigators. United but still factionalised while they are the majority?
If there is no reason to doubt the queen (she was obviously doing ok and colony happy before the unite) I would just break them down.

As above leave one QC otherwise, if there is something wrong with the Q, the colony may eventually end up queenless.

I would do nothing if there are 3 or fewer cells, and let them do what they obviously want to do. I wouldn't tear any down. Just my approach. They know best, generally, and they clearly want to supercede. I might have torn down the cells once after the merger, in case they were caused by confusion, but after that I always leave supercedures alone.

I had a similar situation and left the charged QCs, only for the bees to tear them down and stick with the original queen.

Latest posts

Back