perhaps wasted space!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichbinpaul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
TBH & Langstroth
With all of this insulation discussion, has anyone considered turning an entire (small!)apex or other house roof into an apiary! using a ground up build, where insulation needs would be perhaps quartered or better, or would this cause mass ingress of house invaders!. Tin Hat at the ready!

Think SWMBO would be a bit peeved when the thymol goes on the hives. And what if you get an AFB outbreak? where would you dig the hole? :D

FEK all done in one shot I'll now errase the cad drawings:owned:

Bees need to know it is winter or they will want to fly!
E

Bees need to know it is winter or they will want to fly!
E

Is that to also say one can over insulate! I only ask because using Two inch Cellotex seems a bit much for the uk to me!?

Is that to also say one can over insulate! I only ask because using Two inch Cellotex seems a bit much for the uk to me!?

Over insulation means only wasting money. Celotex type board is really expencive.
3 cm board is very good. 2 cm board is good too, but easy to twist and break.

Your winter there is not bad at all. What I warn about configuration is winds and ventilation. Insulation does not help much if you keep all too open.

With mesh floor no upper holes open. It is enough if you leave one inch zone open in the mesh floor.

With all of this insulation discussion, has anyone considered turning an entire (small!)apex or other house roof into an apiary! using a ground up build, where insulation needs would be perhaps quartered or...
Have a look at this?

(One of our Irish Buckfast Beekeepers in County Galway - his traditional German beehouse with traditional 'Hinterbehandlungsbeute')

Regards
Reiner

Just to compare cost, a poly brood box is 15€ in Finland.

It is £13 Br. pounds.

I make floor and covers from recycling material. Of couse some euros should be used.

One thing more, if you put watertight wrapping around a wooden hive, the wood will rotten very fast if it cannot respirate. The wood moves moisture throught the wall and condensation happens in the dew point.

I used 10 mm bitulite board as an insulation around pine boxes, and in 3-5 years they started to rotten. Insulation made a moisture barrier against the wood.

If I built one of those very smart bee houses SWMBO would chuck the hives out and put a deck chair in there place, long before they could rot!!!

Think SWMBO would be a bit peeved when the thymol goes on the hives. And what if you get an AFB outbreak? where would you dig the hole? :D

Quite common in urban beekeeping not to have space to dig a hole, all that happens is FERA RBI gives you a special license to move the infected frames in double sealed plastic bags

Dusty Rhodes might need it counter signed by the Pope though

Dusty Rhodes might need it counter signed by the Pope though

Not as simple as that.

I'd need a Faculty from the Diocesan Advisory Committee . But because it's a Cathedral it would need the approval of, I think, the Diocesan Registrar or someone. It takes months. Then somebody will object. Next thing there will be a Consistory Court led by the Chancellor. Then someone would appeal it. So it would go to the Chancery Court of the Archdiocese of York.

By which time the AFB would have spread across Manchester Diocese, we would declare it an Act of God, call for a national Day of Repentance and search the books to see if we could start our own Inquisition.

HA! Nobody expected the Manchester Inquisition! (Etc etc etc.)

Dusty

google " bee engine", its a shed with darlington hive based boxes in it, my bee shed has room for 12 hives on one level and twice that if i double stack. its made from 50mm by 75mm timber, 18mm ply outside and corry tin roof and 75mm celotex core.

it does show with a slower build up from the spring as they slow to realise its time to get going, but saying that they over winter in bigger numbers and can take a bigger winter because of it

i have built six in brum, only one left in action which is mine, they were designed for a disabled person in a wheel chair to beekeep at ease without weather or access issues.

its a great space to learn and train in and i find it easier to deal with issues with the bees in,

you can also make the odd video in it as well,

lights, heating, chairs, inspection glass windows all sorts of storage as well

Back