Pensioners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chaps?

Surely you mean chafes?

Or is it chavs?

Chaps chafe chavs.

Once you become a pensioner.... you mind wanders...away.

When someone introduces themselves as a Newbee why is it that some experienced beekeepers don't treat their enquiries with a little respect and offer serious advice? Is it some kind of defence mechanism which kicks in that attempts to bamboozle and knock off balance. Lets have a bit more helpful information as some people have tried to give.

I am perhaps in an extra irritable mood as I have a broken ankle, never the less, humour is fine if the recipient understands the basic premise of the joke and not if the joke is exclusionary.

I think in between the banter the message was quite plain - don't touch a beehaus with a barge pole.

Yep ... that was my original and non-whimsical post ....

To the OP - sorry if we offended you - it happens a lot on here ! You did get some sensible answers to your request for info about the hive you intended to buy but you can see that the prospect of whimsying about leather amongst some of us on here was too much of a temptation to resist ... take us in good spirit !

I assume Lizzie ,that while the thread owner is a newbie when it comes to beekeeping, they maybe an expert in life and well able to disseminate between cruelty and banter ?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of experienced beekeepers who've never seen a Beehaus in the flesh, and who certainly haven't worked with one have taken against it because it's made of plastic, or it's colourful, or it's very expensive for what it is, or, in some cases, because it was the subject of a marketing campaign that got up their noses.

Look back through the threads relating to it, and take notice of those who've actually worked with it. Ignore those who are knocking it despite (or because of) their ignorance.

Before I got any bees I went on an short course at which the Beehaus was the main hive demonstrated. I've not bought one. I might if I could pick one up cheap. It's the cost and the length that put me off. I like the National. It's more flexible. But if you're disabled, the Beehaus may be the right hive for you.

To work the beehaus you need to be strong in the arms and back and at least 5'5 tall. The frames with brood & stores are heavy to manipulate. The top of the brood box is at my waist and I'm 5'5. I find it difficult because you can't get the right angle to lift frames so you're always twisting at the lower back. The stand is not variable like a national, and the roof is rather long for me to get to grips with. I would advise against it unless you can get real experience with an occupied one beforehand to understand the issues. I would advise a ktbh but same as before - get some experience with one first before making any decision.

Since attaining the free TV licence age, I've qualified for membership of the "I DON'T GIVE A SH*TE" club!
I can recommend it :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been working two beehauses for the last two years with ups and downs along the way. I am just processing our current honey crop..please pm me if you would like some unbiased warts and all advice based on our experiences.

Ideas for Leather beekeeping products for me would be a neck guard (bee have managed to get me through the back of my veil) and a back guard. I don't wear an all in one and had more than a few bees head South:ohthedrama:

I have been working two beehauses for the last two years with ups and downs along the way. I am just processing our current honey crop..please pm me if you would like some unbiased warts and all advice based on our experiences.

I did some investigation into the Beehaus as I saw it in use at a country show. In the end I went for National but now wish I had gone Langstroth!

Anyhow, I would like to know your feelings on the Beehaus please.

Thanks

To work the beehaus you need to be strong in the arms and back and at least 5'5 tall. ..... The stand is not variable like a national, and the roof is rather long for me to get to grips with.

I've never seen a beehaus, so I don't know if they have to be used with the provided stand, or if can the main box can be stood on some horizontal timbers bringing the top to the right height for the individual beekeeper.

The legs are detachable, so yes, you could make a stand to suit your height requirement.

nothing to stop you making a suitable height dartington that takes standard brood frames rather than 14x12. But equally simple to make 1/2 supers for normal national (or other) hives.

I think it's got something to do with having been 'designed' - with curved edges.

Take steam engines (locomotives to the Yanks) - form followed function. Beautiful. Abrupt shapes and exposed machinery everywhere. Then came along diesel locos, with their 'designed' appearance, curves and hidden parts. Ughh.

Old-style windmills the same - form followed function. Square sails, sharp corners. Beautiful, romantic even.
300ft wind turbines with their smooth gently curving blades, rounded turbine nacelle - again, so many moving parts hidden from view. Ugly ? Well, not to my taste.

For me the Beehaus falls into the same category. Plus plastic is a pig to repair. If they'd come to me for advice, I'd have told 'em to build something along the lines of a WBC, with double-walled boxes: box and lift combined -I reckon they'd be popular.

LJ

As usuaul lots of negative comments from those who do not have one.http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/images/smilies/wink.gif

Just feel I need to say in support -
1. Good working height (for me at least)
2. Excellent insulation (it coped really well during our recent long cold winter, and works well in hot weather (no bees at the entrance of the hive)
3. Good ventillation too - no condensation build up
4. Abiity to have one hive, and extend through or two hives in either end
5. Takes large, long frames for brood development, and small super frames for easy honey extraction

When will it be accepted as just another type of hive (or 2), and not the work of the Devil?

Latest posts

Back