Peculiar happening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor meldrew

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi folks ,
anyone come across this before ?.
Had a walk around the apiary an hour ago , all work done (until oxalic acid time ) Beautiful weather, bees going ballistic , bringing in pollen by the bucket full .
Whilst standing amongst the hives contemplating on how good the world was, I heard a sound emanating from one hive, the sound was akin to the sound generated by plastic guttering expanding or contracting, sort of ticking/crackling sound !
On further inspection (a peep under the omf) I realised that there were wax cappings on the deck ;. I presume the noise was from said cappings hitting omf ?
This colony is lighter coloured than the remainder of my mongrels. It was inspected on Tuesday by yours truly and the bee inspector, all well , hive stuffed with stores, Queen right brood all stages!
I can't help thinking that this warm balmy weather has stimulated this colony into expanding as if Spring time ?
Apart from eating the stores uncapped, I can't think where/what they could be doing with it, if making room for the Queen to lay is the intent.
Any ideas ??

All colonies have mouse guards fitted and have had for over a week, plus the bees are extremely active !

John Wilkinson

My colonies are in pretty much the same fettle, JW. I have found alot of wax pieces on the floor last week, along with perhaps more than I'd expect in the way of wax scales too.

Not having had an Autumn like this for a while, I couldn't possibly say whether or not you are right, but it seems a sensible idea to me.

The only other thing that comes to mind could be timber drying out after a damp night - but in my experience that sounds more like a 'pinking' sound.

I would also presume that the colony would be stimulated after a period of perhaps low brood production while treating with a thymol product, expecially with this mild weather we have had.

Yes just like that ,
I have metal mouse guards , the bees were extremely busy and the weather gorgeous . I left a comment on the video :cheers2:.

John Wilkinson

Just looked all the way through 'At the hive entrance' and nothing mentioned at all about this noise :(

Perhaps i need to send for a refund!

Just looked all the way through 'At the hive entrance' and nothing mentioned at all about this noise :(

Perhaps i need to send for a refund!

More likely lost in translation, there is some appalling English in there, as if the translator knew significantly more German than English.

Latest posts

Back