Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

funfly 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Quick question from a newbee.

I have heard that honey bees can't forage that well from peas but can from beans, is this true or is it the other way round?

Regards

funfly 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Many thanks, quite a lot to this beekeeping marlarky.

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Reputedly bees cannot work beans and as mine are currently doing nothing surrounded by acres of field beans I now believe it to be true.

PH

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Most field beans will have flowered and moved on to seed pod development by now, surely?

It is a well observed that the outer stretches of large bean fields yield heavier crops than the centre regions due to insect pollination. My bees certainly get moved to the beans after the OSR, if possible.

Regards, RAB

bobandbec 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 reducing to 20
Certainly all the field beans round me are now past the flowering/nectar giving stage.

Peter

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
The beans are of course now past the flowering point.

The point I was making is that my hives have been "on the beans" as in some 50 yards from a large field and have produced nothing. Nor did I expect them to do so as beans are not a crop bees really benefit from though I did once hear a story that a crop of honey dew was achieved off beans.

PH

Please google it.

marcros 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I remember reading or hearing that honey bees could only work field beans once bumblebees had bitten a hole on the bottom of the flower. Whether there is any truth to this, I do not know.

OXFORDBEE 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
More than 1, numbers seem to go up and down.
Hmm ... I beg to differ on the field bean front....

I've had a good year when the bees managed to get quite a lot of field bean honey and it tasted like the field bean fragrance. Very "perfumy" and delicate. Blended with rape it was very nice, or so everyone told me.

This year I could see the bees working the field beans for nectar on two separate fields, although I am not expecting a good yeld from it as there was too much spring sown rape and charlock about. I understand that field beans like limes and hawthorn are fussy plants and don't give good yields frequently.

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Once i had hives aside 6 hectares pea and i saw 2 bees in flovers. I have not seen bumblebees neither in peas.

jon 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40-50
Mine work the broad beans on the allotments but they don't bother as much with the peas.

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
Field beans, not a lot of nectar, compared to say rape, but the quality is reputedly second to none. A mainly field bean honey is apparently very nice product indeed.

Latest posts