pear drops smell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

village girl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi i remember being told something about the smell of pear drops from a hive. I picked up a swarm and got a strong smell of pear drops and still can smell it when i open the hive. Thear are no local sweetie shops can some one remind me what it signifies please
:spy:

Not something I have heard of..

Acetone smells of pear-drops but I doubt your bees are removing their nail-varnish after a night out!
Must be something else, I'd like to know too?

I sense a pear drop smell when I encounter defensive bees that are trying to sting. It could be their alarm pheromone or sting pheromone that I am picking up.

Hi all,
My hives are smelling differently too in the last few days. I would, however, describe the scent more like a faint smell of Magnolia Grandiflora flowers - lemony. Any ideas of what that could be?
Bee alarm pheromones smell like ether to me.

They seem to vary in how much alarm pheromone they produce. We used to have a colony which weren't particularly aggressive but produced an overpowering wave of isoamyl acetate pear drop smell. Used to make me itch.

In my apiary that pear drop smell is directly related to attack mode. It's often a sign to curtail my inspection and leave as they have had enough of me for that day. I find it can also set off another hive as its on my bee suit.

I'm getting used to the smell now. Strangely, yesterday, the first hive I i9nspected and had to conduct an A/s were pretty shirty so loads of pheremone wafting over me. The next hive (invariably a little shirty but not a real problem - typical Pembrokeshire mob) although now Q-. were so laid back it was unbelievable, so obviously had totally ignored the pheremone from the hive two feet away!!!!

Back