Parts and jigs for supers and boxes - usage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
The way I use my End Plate Assembly jig.

The diagrams in the instructional pdf are 20% of drawn size. Pm me for full size .png or Inkscape svg drawings by email.

Well done Hombre 3am posting this thats dedication

It all looks ok and obviously works for you just a couple of observations

Its best not to have any flat surface on the bottom rail and the bevel to extend the full length so to shed water

And you may fined that if you extend the part marked as Y so as to reach the bottom of the rebate on the top and bottom rail and then having reduced the top and bottom rail in thickness to accommodate Y then glue the top and bottom rail to Y will result in a stronger joint.

Very nice .
I use nowt more than a piece of timber ,pointed at each end, cut to the length of the diagonal of boxes!
Cheap , cheerful and uncomplicated (bees don't mind:rofl:)

John Wilkinson

Well done Hombre 3am posting this thats dedication

It all looks ok and obviously works for you just a couple of observations

(A). Its best not to have any flat surface on the bottom rail and the bevel to extend the full length so to shed water

(B). And you may fined that if you extend the part marked as Y so as to reach the bottom of the rebate on the top and bottom rail and then having reduced the top and bottom rail in thickness to accommodate Y then glue the top and bottom rail to Y will result in a stronger joint.

Thank you Tom for your constructive comments.

(A) Accepted, but the flat is there to accommodate 9mm (standard), 12mm or 18mm ply as might be chosen, even though I personally use 9mm. I can change that without modification to my top and bottom rails.

(B). A conscious decision was made to make the end plate assembly with an inset end plate, rather than outset as you describe. It allows me to change my end plate from 9mm without change to the top/bottom rails. My feeling is that the strength imparted by the end plate to the completed box is one of rigidity, much like the thin panels in a door frame (shhhh not a word about the jointing difference). It keeps the box square just by it's presence, more so in a 14x12 box. The inset end plate also saves plywood, making the construction of supers almost an offcut exercise.

I thought long and hard about how I wanted to do things and feel that I reached a happy workable compromise. I would like to think that you appreciate my decisions, even if not actually go as far as condoning them. :)

Victor, I'm not allowed out alone with a pointed stick. I understand the concept, but could never get the length of the stick right. I would of course need a couple of sticks? All things being equal . . .

I thought long and hard about how I wanted to do things and feel that I reached a happy workable compromise. I would like to think that you appreciate my decisions, even if not actually go as far as condoning them. :)

As with all things always several ways to do a job and as long as we finish with what we intended to make then who is to say its wrong its just a different way of doing it.

By the way I like the good use of the brick

Latest posts

Back